Off-Topic Top Gear returns....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AndyB1976, Sunday 2nd Feb, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    SpeedyGee, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Thanks for the reminder, set to record :Thumbup:

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All set here.Beer in the fridge and snacks ready.
    Looking forward to it and hope its a good one.

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup can't wait :Smile:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the heads up bud.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well there goes an hour of my life which i will never get back.
    I am a big fan of Top Gear but even i can't bring myself to watch it with great interest like i used to.Repetitive and predictive,hope it get better.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had a laugh or two .. Yes 80's was the best era.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've not seen this one yet (recorded) but I know what you mean. For me it went stale about 4-5yrs ago.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh its just very repetitive, it would be nice if they mixed the faffing around with a bit of real world motoring journalism. I think Clarkson actually said he was in favour of bringing back old style TG reviews but the audience or the directors or something was less keen, something along those lines.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Agree, very disappointing. They have finally, after a couple of near misses, "jumped the shark." :Sobbing:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I got about half way through before just conceding and turning it off. The scripting/staging of all the events just seemed to ruin it, it's like they're now not even trying to hide it any more.

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Becoming a parody of itself. I guess if the BBC can still sell this formula globally then the bean counters will get their way.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I liked Top Gear when it had Quentin Willson but it's just silly now and always looking at cars hardly any of us will ever have. Also liked 5th Gear in the beginnings.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I quite like 5th Gear, they do some interesting segments. Can remember FN2 Civic Type-R vs FD2 Civic Type-R, and also Civic Type-R vs. S2000 on the track.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    5th Gear is trying to hard to be like Top Gear. It didn't take them very long to get a dedicated track after Top gear moved to the airfield.

5th Gear is a car review show for sensible cars where as Top gear is a car enthusiasts show and does d$cking around in super cars. But Top gear has become far to scripted and predictable these days.

What I don't understand about 5th gear is they get a standard road car and throw it round a track causing tyre squeal and sliding it to show how much grip it has, but then when it get's hold of a super car they drive it round a track and seem scared to drift it or so much as get a squeak out the tyres because they don't want to be perceived as hooligans.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Because Channel 5 doesn't have a budget for if things go wrong :Rolf:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ aye no public tax payers money to fleece from and pay a clarkson alternative millions for acting like a buffoon.

19. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Top Gear was originally designed to satisfy the needs of the many people who were true petrol heads and the BBC's requirement to provide a current , informative car show. In the early days it was exactly what it's viewers needed to satisfy their motoring desires. It was informative with its (virtually) unbiased reviews of the cars available to the general public with the odd super car thrown in to give the stargazers something to yearn for. There was also a light hearted approach to motoring in general.
    These days it is a comedy show combined with a compendium of idiots doing their best to write off super cars at the taxpayers expense.
    Add to this the politically incorrect views of the main presenter and the show becomes a total farce.
    The only reason that the BBC continue with the current format is that it can sell the program to other countries and the likes of Dave.
    I did watch the first show and yes it was funny but I think they should consider producing a proper motoring program for the people who would actually like to see an informative and sensible program. If I had a choice to watch TopGear or Wheeler Dealers there would be no contest. At least the latter show helps to preserve some classic cars.
    Perhaps Honda Karma should have a slot on TV?

Regards
    MikeCrabtree

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HK does have a youtube account just dedicated to Honda's :Wub: just look for it in my signature.