Engine & Gearbox Torque converter shudder?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Green teapot, Saturday 12th Mar, 2016.

1. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    Nearly had my 2007 3rd Generation petrol auto a month now and loving it-more refined in every way than the excellent 2nd Generation it replaced.
    However,drove to London yesterday & on long motorway ascents at around the legal limit the is a continuous shudder through the car. Most noticeable if using Cruise. If you kick down or drop it out of o/d it's fine (or if the road levels out) . I am assuming this is an issue with the torque converter as it is clearly only occurring when in lockup mode ? Have others experienced this? The car has only done 35k with partial Honda history-I am assuming that with such low miles it has not had a tranny oil change so plan to do that as first step. Have to say didn't expect this having told everyone I know that Honda reliability is unbeatable....!
    Cheers folks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would suspect and inspect the drive shafts first before contemplating an auto box issue. Gearbox auto fluid change is also not a bad idea and worth trying.

Hmmm at the end of the day it is still a mechanical beast and as such will throw some issues at some point. You've just been unlucky to get an issue with so few miles on the clock.

I've had some 8 Hondas and covered well over half a million miles without any issues worth mentioning.

Green teapot likes this.
  3. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi speedygee: thanks for input: because the symptom is so specific(only in o/d,lockup), don't feel driveshafts probable. Will report back after tranny flush/change.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You'll be surprised at how specific driveshaft vibrations can be, they almost have like resonance frequency that amplifies the issue.

Nels and Green teapot like this.
  5. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

image.
    Right. A bit of follow up as promised. Drained ATF today. Replenished with 2.6ltrs Honda DW1 ATF (supercedes old Z1). Extended road test,lots of manual gear changing/kicking down/varied loads. Drain again,refill 2.6 litres,road test,top up level whilst still hot.
    Some internet threads stated there may be a filter in the oil cooler line (like a fuel filter) Honda parts said not. Old ATF a little dark and minimal dirt on drain plug magnet.
    Being a little cautious as haven't been on motorway to recreate the long climb scenario that caused the 'corrugated road surface, symptom,but on repeated runs in o/d at 60 up hill on the bypass there was no hint of it. The big difference is if you watch the tachometer (appx1900@60) at the slightest hint of a gradient,you see it come straight out of lockup. When the vibration occurred before,it just sat there labouring away until you either kicked down or pressed the button on the selector for D3. Also the change feels much smoother. I am convinced the degrading of the oil has influenced both these sensations.
    Whilst she has only done 36000,the car is9 years old. With early years Honda servicing and latterly independents(albeit annually) I am sure it was the factory fluid still in there. Schedule states 75000/8yrs,thereafter every 50000/4yrs. I struggled to find an equivalent (although I believe a dexron could be used in emergency) so I bought genuine ATF at 40+quid for 4ltrs (bought 2).

Also changed/flushed the rear diff too (as that won't have been done either,& again due 75000/8yrs). DP oil was filthy even at this mileage. Drained,refilled appx 1.2ltr,long run,lots of turning. Drain,refill 1.2 ltr. Job jobbed.
    Fingers still crossed re the shudder,will report back if not total success.
    2nd pic is old (and a comparison sample of new) DP diff oil.
    Cheers.
    - - - Updated - - -
    image.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's great news @Green teapot.

Personally speaking I would do the transmission oil change two more times as when you are emptying the oil, you are only emptying what is in the gearbox. There is still oil left in the cooling circuit and the torque converter.

Repeating the oil change 3 times in total will ensure you have got a decent percentage of the oil fluid out.

Last edited: Monday 21st Mar, 2016
    Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedy. Yes I realise that one is only doing a gradual cleanse each time you drain. I shall run it for a week then change again as I have enough oil left for another go. Felt it worth posting; whilst the oil is expensive felt others should hear the benefit of changing it (after all,a fairly easy job) .
    Best Rgds

Nels likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Thumbup:

Fresh gearbox oil, especially in an Auto makes a huge difference.

Green teapot likes this.