Engine & Gearbox Torque settings

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bigt2811, Monday 1st Jun, 2015.

1. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    does anyone know the torque settings for the DMF bolts and the clutch cover bolts clutch kit and DMF being fitted on Wednesday morning by myself hiring tool from euro car parts so any information would be very helpful

2. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    Found the info I needed on autodata 118Nm flywheel 25Nm clutch so all good fly wheel fitted clutch will be fitted tomorrow when I pick the tool up from euro car parts incidently the front pulley/ damper is 29Nm +90 degrees

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Wow... big job!

Are you fitting an LUK clutch assembly?

4. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    Yes luk DMF and clutch along with timing chains and exhaust manifold fitting it back in car tomorrow

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Wow... VERY big job!

So you removed the engine for these jobs?

6. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    Yes removed engine and box started it at about 1pm and had engine out box separated and clutch and DMF off by 8pm

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Good luck with it all.

Sorry I didn't see your initial question until it was too late.

8. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    All back in and running but radiator has a hole in it so leaking quite a bit tried rad seal no joy can anyone suggest anything else other than replacing rad

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I once fixed a hole in a rad with araldite... if you use a heatgun/hair drier on it it becomes very fluid and will penetrate better (works best if the rad is removed and is horizontal

You must have bought this car to repair and sell on then?

10. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    No keeping it after all the work I've done at least I know the strength of it now taking the rad down to my local rad firm who is going to repair it for £40 if successful if not no charge located a new one for £142 delivered next day

11. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent

Fair play and well done to you Tony, similar needs doing to mine, it gets a new clutch and flywheel next week but as only having a gravelled open air car park and limited tools, I had to farm this bit out.
    I am of the same mind as regards keeping it, the car I bought as a project after having a good look around it, is in extremely good condition for its age , and it would be folly to do all the donkey work for someone else to enjoy.I may have a crack at the timing chains once I get over the impact of the price of the clutch and flywheel.
    I too (if was doing them both and had the gear ) would be lifting the lump out and working both sides at the same time, as you have done.
    Was the clutch tool hire rate reasonable ?

12. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    They charged me £18 for the hire but wanted £366 deposit engine sounds a lot better no nasty fumes in the car now haven't test driven it yet due to radiator leak hopefully that will be resolved tomorrow my neighbour sold me the car when he upgraded to a later accord he had another engine fitted to it after the chain snapped and kept the upgraded manifold from the old engine which he gave me so that saved me £300 so far it stands me in £1234 for parts and oils £560 for the car so I doubt that I would get £2000 for the car so I think I will keep it I have all the service history and bills for both engines as well

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So it'd already had a new engine, but the chains had worn again? That's a bit unlucky, or was he using the wrong oil?

How many miles has it done?

14. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    221279 miles he was using 5w 30 and regularly serviced it the chains had started rattling about 2 months before I bought it so I new they needed doing but not the clutch
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've used 0w30

15. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Hire price still cheaper than buying the tool, not bad at all, the deposit seems excessive though.

I've been told that these engines need a chain and sprocket change prior to 140,000 mls given they are consumable items , that is still not bad mileage, but only if it were the norm.

But they have been known to fail prior to this of course, again some may argue it's down to how it's been driven, and serviced.

It totally destroys the fallacy that chain driven systems are superior to belt, and last the lifetime of the engine.

That said, it's no wonder they don't ,as they are then subject to unnecessary chemical attack due to the EGR re introducing part spent acidic soot rich gasses which accumulates in the oil, tainting everything it comes into contact with.

The use of lightweight oil is deliberate, to absorb these contaminants.The fact that oils changes are recommended every 6 thousand miles to flush and weaken these "effects" gives a greater incentive to cut this out of the process altogether.The pollution element of the argument is another matter of course.

I would imagine simply disconnecting the EGR will throw up an engine management hissyfit, so I will seek to blank off the EGR valve, and get a remap that does NOT include and increase in HP, and add uneeded stresses if this is possible ,as it does not need any more power as far as I'm concerned.
    One of the other reasons I chose this car as a project, is that it does not use a DPF.

Hope you radiator refit goes ok.

Heres a link to something I discovered when researching EGR problems on my old Rover 75, it's a bit long winded, but gives a good indication as to the problems facing diesel engine owners and manufacturers, under the lash of the various lobbies ,and governments.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    To be fair, much as I enjoy owning a diesel they are a very serious local pollution threat without properly functional EGR and DPF systems. Far too much credit was given for their lower CO2 emissions when determining the VED applicable to diesel cars (possibly for the UK to meet international CO2 reduction targets?) but there is now a growing backlash against this and certainly more urban 'congesting charging' schemes will be raising diesel charges to address this local pollution issue. Blanking the EGR system DOES cause a powertrain DTC and a resulting MIL/CEL, so the ECU map will need to be modified to blank this.

When it seems a plausible theory, it wasn't obvious to me that my chain wear was caused by acidic conditions. The chains themselves and the tensioners certainly did not appear to be particularly corroded (e.g. the metallic surfaces were as shiny as the replacement ones) - only my cam chain had quite markedly stretched (and the tensioner arm plastic pad badly worn), but my oil pump chain hadn't. More details here on replacing the chains with the engine still in the car... Engine & Gearbox - I- CTDI Cam and Oil chain replacement - Gathering Knowledge

At least chain-driven systems provide an audible warning of wear and very rarely break, unlike belts, thereby destroying the engine. I just wish that Honda had made the chains easier to replace as a service item!

17. Bigt2811 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tony Romford
    Unfortunately my rad could not be repaired but a new one is coming today clutch feels good engine starts on the button with the now common whine after replacement chains yes my long chain had stretched quite a bit it was trying to climb the teeth on the cam sprocket as I was setting the timing up so quite lucky there the oil pump chain and tensioner were fine well within limits but changed them anyway as the tensioners I had were the upgraded type the other tensioner had reached its limit and was almost hanging out
    But all good now got to sort out sat nav DVD error already cleaned laser head once worked for a while and air con refill aswell
    Missus reckons I could have bought a decent car for the money I have spent but at least I know the work has been done unlike taking it to a garage how do you know that they have changed the parts and not reused old bits???

18. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent

I can understand and accept the argument against localised pollution threats, but as science has always been aware of the by products of diesel fuel combustion, as well as petrol and the use of it within the motor industry expanded on the pretext of efficiency and benefit to the owner, we now see why efficiency has to be penalised on the basis of "fashionable threat science be it sound or otherwise ".

Which of course does nothing at all to aleviate levels of pollution, as it is still produced.

The burn and recycle " unspent fuel and gases at lower temperatures " in an attempt to reduce pollution and it effects is a worthy goal no one would disagree with.
    This of course equates to extra manufacturing ,and further pollution which eventually render the whole purpose of these so called targets and emission controls null and void, as one offsets or even possibly exceeds another to achieve them, but it keeps people employed.

Purely a matter of economics of course, as is the added " value penalty " for buying something now deemed a threat but readily sold, and encouraged to be purchased in the knowledge it already was.

The modified Honda replacement chains that are " treated to resist acid attack via the oil " appears to fit into this threat category quite well, again based purely on economics, on your testimony alone, this is sufficient for me not to use utilise them when the time comes.

It's also interesting to note that only your cam chain had suffered the greatest amount of stretch and it's arm with the most wear, do you suppose the older cam lock style tensioners were at fault here, as the newer version is free floating ?

Thanks for your link to chain replacement thread, I completely agree with your last sentence, indeed a case that was accessible without having to remove injectors would have been nice.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zebster likes this.
  20. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Thanks for that CJ, could you clean up my post above this one , a reply to bigt2811 seems to have merged with one posted to zebster.I can't figure out how to go back into my post to, re edit, thanks.