Tools torque wrench

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Dan, Friday 26th Feb, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Evening all.

I would like to buy a torque wrench. I'm not sure if I need 2 separate ones for different torque ranges, or whether I can get a good one to cover all work I'm likely to do?

Some jobs I want to do are:
    * Valve adjustment - 20Nm on the adjuster locking nuts I believe
    * spark plugs
    * wheel nuts
    * brake disc replacement

I don't want to pay hundreds for one, but I do want one that will be accurately calibrated. I was thinking £40 to £50 would be a reasonable amount.

Anyone any advice?

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quite a bit more than I wanted to pay really. I am a very occasional user.

There are some on ebay that say they come with a calibration cert, EG draper. No good or a risk of them being fakes?

I'm surprised there aren't more used ones available. No-one seems to be selling used tools.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Take your pick
    Torque Wrenches | Tools & Parts | Screwfix.com

ofcourse unless you get top class high end ones you can't be 100% sure but atleast having one will remove the guesswork. Buy the one that suits your budget and has decent reviews.

5. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I always forget about screwfix. They don't seem too bad except for the ranges not being as usable as the Halfords ones. 5-25 and 20-100 not as good as Halfords 8-60 / 60-300. Still over £100 for the two though. One of the screwfix one did get a bad review by a guy who took it off to be calibrated though and found it was nowhere near, but that was the cheap £25 one.

I wonder how much certainty should be worth? After all I'm wanting to be messing with brakes and valve nuts...

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

£20 in this case

From one of the reviews:
    Despite all the good news upon inspection I still wasn't convinced, I needed objective results. Working for Delphi, a large automotive parts design/manufacturing company I popped over to one of the labs and pulled out the torque wrench calibrator, a Norbar Pro-Test Series 2 [...] costing approx £2000

And these are the results, the first number is the indicated reading and the second number the measured value.
    28 Nm - 28.8 Nm
    42 Nm - 41.8 Nm
    56 Nm - 57.2 Nm
    70 Nm - 70.3 Nm
    84 Nm - 85.1 Nm
    98 Nm - 97.6 Nm
    112 Nm - 114 Nm
    126 Nm - 127.2 Nm
    140 Nm - 142.1 Nm
    154 Nm - 155.9 Nm
    168 Nm - 168.3 Nm
    182 Nm - 184.8 Nm
    196 Nm - 196.3 Nm
    210 Nm - 209.7Nm

7. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

nice find that, if the review is genuine.

but alas - doesn't seem like they have one for lower than 28 Nm.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Have you got a spring balance? You can use that with a t-bar to get the right torque accurately enough for occasional use.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

search.PNG

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are lots to choose from its knowing which ones will be accurate.

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

so once you buy a highly calibrated torque wrench for under £50 will you get its calibration certified each year by sending it to a lab?

Zebster likes this.
  12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    They don't need to be very accurate. Once in a while I test mine against a spring balance (which is, in turn, tested against a volume of water).

vincemince and Nels like this.
  13. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If its not accurate then i may as well be tightening bolts up by hand, just as tight as i judge is right. It seems to me that it wouldn't be stated what the torque is if it wasnt that important.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    A torque wrench may not be spot-on accurate, but they're accurate enough. Guessing is bad, unless you are experienced.

Auto Ali likes this.
  15. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The review on the cheaper screwfix one said it was 25% low at 100 Nm.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That would still be better than guessing!

17. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would it really? Whats wrong with tight plus quarter turn?

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That might be OK for spark plugs, but could easily shear a smaller bolt.

Like I said, just use a spring balance in conjunction with your t-bar if you're too tight to splash out on a proper torque wrench. And that would be at least as accurate!

19. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it would be pretty unlike to shear a bolt like that as you can generally feel how something starts to give if you go too far. I think its more likely something wouldn't be tight enough.

Its not tightness on my part. These tools are expensive! Just want to make sure im getting value for money. Lots of different products available and no way of determining how accurate it will be. I think a crap torque wrench would be as bad as no torque wrench.

20. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got a Britool one from around 1976 ,checked every year by a calibration company and as yet never been adjusted.
    I also got a review of torque wrenches of which snap on came out worst ,this is on a new wrench from the shop, the best came out as the nor bar then fairly cheap ,
    Every nut and bolt on a car has a setting but you can't work like that in the real world,
    Most would say you need it to tighten up but in my experience folk need it so not to over tighten. What you feel is normally not far off, there are exceptions is heads,flywheel,hub nuts etc.
    Generally the broader the range the less accurate it will be.
    Other calculations need to be made if for example the threads are lubricated and with what. Sometimes just using your judgement is the best.