Electrical & Lights Tourer boot question

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by PeteMM, Tuesday 29th Dec, 2015.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Okay this is random but,

Is there a specific weight limit for additional mass added to the boot lid, say a bike rack for example. Did Honda release a maximum weight limit?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have thrown everything at the back of the tourer and it's been fine. I will look up if there is internal weight restriction.

PeteMM likes this.
  3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Oh I am not worried about the actual internal weights, trust me, I doubt there is anyone on here has thrown more weight in the back of theirs and still expected it to drive.

It's what load can the boot motor cope with in addition to the weight of the bootlid itself, if any.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I won't put any weight on the tourer tailgate at all buddy it will wear out the struts and may even chase damage to the electric motor if you want to carry bikes it's best on the roof.

jimjams and PeteMM like this.
  5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Kinda what I thought the answer would be.

If I go ahead with the plan, I'll have to manually open the boot then when the load is on :Frown:

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    There is at least one person who has put a bike rack on the back of the tailgate on his Tourer and says he has no problems. But I have read that that is a very dodgy thing to do, for the reasons given by CJ in #4, and because it can cause the tailgate to shift slightly on its hinges. Well dodgy IMO.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mine struggles if I park it nose facing down a hill. The tailgate motor has a clutch in it to avoid problems if it cannot lift. I think this might be damaged if you add weight to it.
    The tailgate is already very heavy. More modern cars use much lighter materials in their tailgate designs but they don't generally lift more than they are designed for either.
    I know I had to change the tailgate motor/ gearbox on mine as it was noisy and didn't lift the tailgate at all.

I would leave it as is or only manually open the tailgate if a bike rack is fitted.

jimjams likes this.
  8. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

The manual advises not to use any racks on the boot door, for exactly the reasons in post #4