Body, Paint & Styling Tourer rear arches corrosion

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by redefined_cycles, Friday 23rd Aug, 2013.

1. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all.

On my previous car of 98 registration, because it was the flip cgromoflair version I never had a problem of rust... Even the wheel arches were rust free with no fettling.

Now on my 03 tourer I have noted a few mm of rust under one wheel arch so been looking at a few rust inhibitors. After much reading I have decided on what to get to stop the rust in its tracks so thought I would share my findings.

Conclusion: ACF50 anti corrosion formula seems the way forward. It seems to be recommended by motorbikers and a brief review can be seen here

m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/chain-lubricant/product/review-worldwide-aviation-acf-50-anti-corrosion-formula-9086/

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Rust Inhibitor

Hi mate would it be possible you could take pictures of this rust on the arches? is it between the outer and inner skins ?

it will be a hard to get picture but try. Yes http://www.acf-50.co.uk/ is a really good product would gladly recommend it. But rust is like cancer no matter what you do it will spread no matter what treatment you use..you got to take the diseased metal part out with new.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have and always will use good old simple grease on rust (any type seems to work). It stops it dead.
    After many years of bangernomics grease has save many a heap from the scrap yard.. lol Its just not pretty if its on the body panels.
    In recent years I have used waxoyle to and that its good stuff but a bit more pricey. RUST... I hate it so anything to prevent it is a good thing.

4. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply CJ and Tony,

Yes, the grease trick has been doing the trick well for me in the past on a retro steel bike frame which I was using: a point on the frame where I had it welded was unprotected therefore I would cover it with a little bike lube (chain grease or wax). So for the mo until I can get back on my feet I will protect it with some teflon bike lube.

I will try to put a photo up just now and if it doesn't work will get back to the drawing board.

PS. CJ, I do still want the tax disc holder (sorry for not replying earlier) but as I am totally skint at the mo until next pay (next Fri) I will make payment at that time...

20130823_135435.
    20130823_135415.
    20130823_135422.

Last edited: Friday 23rd Aug, 2013
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

That is serious corrosion no amount of grease or trick of science will stop that rotting. This is major problem you won't be the only tourers with this issue. The rust has come through the inner skin to the outer most probably from the seam where its spot welded.

Right can all 7th Generation tourers have a look at the nearside and offside rear arches. can Saloon boys also check.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Title changed to make it more relevant..

7. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Yep mine starting, will post a pic when I can, just off to Wembley for the day.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mines also started on a 56 plate about 2-3mm from the seams only slight bubbling i have sanded it down and applied a coat of waxoyl. i just hope it slows it down a bit I have to say I am gutted I know its been to the moon and back and its almost 7 years old but there was no stone chippings under the arch!

I had planned to keep the car for another few years and literally run it into the ground but i hate rust and the rest of the car is really really tidy you wouldn't think its done the mileage.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave try to get some pictures from the inner lip of the arch want to see if there is any bulging of the seam between the spot welds.

10. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyhow. For the mo until I can get the stuff mentioned above I'm just spraying this stuff on

Attached Files:

11. Plasma Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I noticed very slight rust on lip of my 55 plate Tourer . Have applied Ku-Rust and Hammerite silver which is a good match.

***also check rear flange under rear bumper - mine was quite bad which I have painted with Hammerite black. Tow hook , rear underside is prone and bonnet inner lip underneath front chrome. ***

my bonnet was quite badly rusted - not good for 7 year old car!.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Spoke too early both my tourers have this issue ! prefacelift has the early stages on the passenger rear side .. facelift is the worst.

The facelift tourer undercarriage is meticulous cleaned every spring. you can see water has entered the joint and the rust has spread from the outer to inner skin and rust is well and truly entrenched. Guess what the 8th Generation tourer DOES not have two metal pieces sandwiched and spot welded on the outer wheel arch.. looks like lessons have been learnt. Honda would have been aware of this.

You can see the wheel arch bulging downwards look from behind and you see it clearly :Blink:

The paint bubbling
    P1680200.

P1680197.
    P1680196.
    Look behind and it all clear where its started from
    P1680203.
    P1680205.

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine looks like it has it as well. 06 tourer.
    Haven't had rust on a car for years.:Frown:

14. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sad stuff cj... let us know how YOU tackle it

- - - Updated - - -

Ps. I guess its a good thing we have spotted it early at thus stage. ..

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will have to remove the outer skin to see what's behind it.. this is an expensive really expensive repair!

Talk to Honda dealers about their Structural Corrosion Warranty (12 Years) & Chassis Corrosion Warranty (10 Years) to see a claim can be made.