Body, Paint & Styling tourer rear arches - same profile as saloon?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if the rear wheel arches on the tourer are the same profile/shape/radius as the saloon?

I know the overall panel they are part of is different, but the actual arch itself - would it be possible to cut it off a saloon and weld it onto a tourer?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Well the bumpers are different so I'd imagine the arch profile maybe different too, don't know for sure though.

3. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
  4. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The rears are definitely metal (mine are rusting unfortunately).
    My new plan is to find some clean ones off a breaking car, get them cut off, then have them welded on to mine.
    I am not sure whether I need to hold out for the same colour, or because of the cutting/welding involved it won't really matter much.

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have to go out and thump inside the rear wheel arches on mine again, but I'm sure that last time I did that they were plastic. My car is also pre-facelift CM2 btw.

6. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a plastic arch liner inside, maybe thats what you are seeing.

7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No, I mean "I'll have to go out and thump inside the rear wheel arches from the outside the car etc etc"

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Been outside and thumped the outer rear wheel arch and had a very good look at it and it's definitely plastic on my CM2. It's not welded it's secured with trim clips. I can't tell if there is a metal arch behind it.

Lings ...

"outer panels/rear panel" ....no wheel arches on this drawing
    https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...01&block_02=B__4920&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

"floor/inner panels" ....wheel arches are 10 & 16, and I'm not sure if these are same as what is on the very outside on my car (if not the same then they would be metal I guess, and "plastic outers" would be in the next diagram)
    https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...01&block_02=B__4910&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

"side lining" ....4 & 5 are arches again, they might be what are on the outside on my car, or maybe not (if they are on the outside, it would be strange to call them "insulator" and to put them in this diagram)
    https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...01&block_02=B__3930&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

9. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Items 3 and 6 are the outer wheel arches on your first link. Its all one panel with the entire side of the rear end.
    On your 2nd link, items 10 and 16 are the inner wheel arch. These are spot welded to the outer panel.

Im amazed yours are plastic - what year is the car?

Here is mine - offside rear.

rear arch offside.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So where are these trim clips you are referring to?

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not sure how much you can trust these Lings drawings, but as @SpeedyGee says, the arches do look a different profile

3 & 6 in both

tourer https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...01&block_02=B__4920&block_03=529&block_05=hcr

saloon https://www.lingshondaparts.com/hon...1&block_02=B__4920&block_03=2855&block_05=hcr
    - - - Updated - - -
    I think you were using the correct terminology on #6, I just mis-undestood, I though you meant a liner as being from inside the boot area

So "wheel arch" is what you're saying as the actual "curved part" of the "wing", and "wheel arch liner" is the plastic part (clipped onto the lip round the inside "arch" of the wing)
    - - - Updated - - -
    i'm sure there was a thread just like this recently

13. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah I see what you mean now.

I'll just have to hold out for a breaking tourer near me that I can get the rear arches cut off of. There is one I'm going to look at ASAP - guy says they are in good nick and wants £60 for both sides which seems pretty good. I can just keep them then till I'm ready to have the job done - and if I never do I can hand them on with the car if the next owner wants them done. Does that sound reasonable plan?

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it's not urgent than it sounds sensible to me, much more sensible than forking out £395 for a complete new Tourer panel from Honda (which isn't a bad price for an entire Tourer rear panel)

in the other thread that was on here a few weeks ago, it was pointed out that the sealant between the lip in the "wheel arch" and the "plastic wheel arch liner", is not always good. I guess I've been lucky on my car, it looks bad in your picture :Frown:

15. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    don't worry about the colour of the quarter panel you get. The entire section will need respraying anyway and blended in

16. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Should i get the breaker to cut off as much of the quarter panel as possible, or just say the lower half where the arch is?

17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Cut off as much as possible. The shop who fits it will trim it to the correct size to make it a seamless finish.

Rather have too much than too little although I would confirm that you can find a place willing to do the job for you first if you havent already

18. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did find a place who would cut out some of the existing metal and fabricate some new to weld in. That was for £200 per side. I haven't asked whether he would work with a complete arch panel - but I'd imagine it should be a similar job.

I'm still undecided on whether to just leave it really. Car was £1400. I could just leave it for 3 years then get rid (provided it passes MOTs). Its a tough decision.

19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if it was me I'd remove the plastic wheel arch liner completely and look how bad it is, because you might be able to reinforce it from inside with fibreglass. That would help it to last the 3 years you're thinking of.

20. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just remembered, someone here on HK, or maybe elsewhere, was looking for plastic "trim" or "arch" to go along the rear wheel arch, I think the idea was to sand down all the rust on the arch and use loads of rust inhibitor, then fit a plastic trim/arch over it all.