Pre-Purchase Tourer RFI

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Stuart, Sunday 17th May, 2015.

1. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi All,

Looked at a 55 plate Tourer Exec yesterday - 107k miles; over and above my existing 54-plate, it has 6-speed manual, tinted rear windows with heated rear side ones, built-in satnav, Honda boot liner.

Do the 6-speed and tinted rear windows make it a "face-lift" model, or were they just options at the time it was spec'ed?

Any high-cost service items that I should check have been done, or are upcoming/advisable in the near future?

Anything I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You haven't given us enough information to answer your questions.

IIRC, the PFL 2.4 petrol had 6 speed manual. FL diesel's were available in 6 speed manual.
    Have a look through the brochures section for more information...
    7th Generation (2003-2008)

As for service, you haven't said if she is petrol or diesel.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi Nels,

:Blushing: Duh! Sorry, I missed out the word "diesel".

Hth.

Regards,

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Easily done.

A good service record is vital. If you do not have this, or are not in a position to deal with the consequences of it, walk away.
    A great deal of harm could have taken place over 10 years/107k miles

Timing chains, exhaust manifold, clogged EGR valves, and a clutch with DMF will be expensive to rectify.
    There are some good ones out there, but they are rare.

I am not anti-diesel. If I was doing the miles I would have had another when I changed recently.

5. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi Nels,

The service book has seven dealer stamps, but should have eight for the mileage, so I'll need to examine it more closely; in any event, following the advice here, if I buy it, I'll treat it to at least an oil change. :Smile:

If you have time, could you enlarge a little on the potential faults you've mentioned? The diesel Tourer I own already, I bought in August last year with 125k on the clock and it's now up to nearly 145k. Touch wood, nothing you've mentioned has manifested itself (at least not yet?); instead, I've had lengthy fun-and-games trying to replace a top steering hose that started to go porous shortly after I bought the car, and I've recently replaced the N/S rear caliper, which gradually seized on. :Frown: I had the EGR valve cleaned at 130k, after advice here that a blocked one could be something to do with a 2,000 RPM hesitation problem, but the garage said it wasn't blocked.

Regards,

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If serviced correctly, the N22A engine is great. My previous Accord was fine, and it sounds like your present one is too.
    Rear calipers/handbrake issues are well noted.
    Timing chain - dirty oil has fine 'gritty' particles in it. This can cause premature wear and even failure.
    Exhaust manifold - Known to crack and leak fumes into the cabin. Not sure about the cause.
    EGR valves - Can end up with 'wet' sooty deposits that interfere with normal operation. Additionally. these deposits also reduce the lumen and therefore the operation of the engine.
    DMF - When this needs changing, (normal wear and tear) it's expensive. A special tool is needed to fit the clutch on these cars, and is best done by a dealer.

Hope that helps. :Smile: