Electrical & Lights Tourer tailgate woes

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Saturday 7th Mar, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all!

My tourer's tailgate won't open if I press the button on my key fob. What happens after the button is pressed is that it beeps once. The tailgate then attempts to lift and after around 2cm of opening it vibrates a lot. Next, there are three beeps and then it closes again.

I can open the tailgate manually. I can also close it manually, as well as use the button on the tailgate and the key fob to close it.

I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the latch and the left tailgate arm. I've also cleaned around the hatch area (not sure where the sensors are/what I'm looking for though!) but it's made no difference.

Don't know if this helps to narrow down the fault but if I lift the hatch manually and let go of it when it's at a horizontal level, it doesn't go up by itself any more. Not sure if that's normal behaviour or not on the tourer but thought I'd mention it.

I did look at the tailgate thread in this section but if I'm honest I'm not really sure which part of the tailgate I should be looking at to diagnose the source of the problem?

As ever any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys :Smile:
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is the outer latch jammed when you lubricated the hinge to the outer handle,it has to be free from sticking. Have you heard how many
    Beeps the tailgate made?
  3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well the tailgate gets unlocked when I press the key fob button. I can "help" it along by pulling the tailgate up slightly and then it can open the rest of the way itself if you see what I mean?

One beep when I press the key fob button, three beeps when it gives up trying to lift.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Closer unit may be on it way out or the struts are weak .
  5. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there any way I can find out which one of those is the cause? Or does it need to go into a Honda garage?
  6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sounds very similar to mine. The fault on mine was the lift motor itself, I(well I think the clutch in the mechanism as it is one complete unit) I didnt really have time to do a proper diagnostic on mine so I chanced it and bought a second hand known good motor mechanism off ebay for £80 and fitted it one evening.

Cured mine. There is a known fault where the clutch gets excessive oil on it within the motor and gives the symtoms you describe. but it could also be the struts gone week. plenty of info on here also

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are they sealed units or can you open them up and fix them?
  8. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Mine was goosed when I bought the car. Pretty sure I found a thread on here detailing how to reset it properly and it has been faultless ever since (2 years now)
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mines jinxed I thnk, after this thread its started playing up again. It opens fine on level ground but any slight incline when pointing the nose of the car down hill, it struggles to open. It opens a little then I get the Beep beep and it closes again. As if it hasnt the strength to lift it an further. This time I am suspecting the closer unit itsnt quite dis-engaging properly (locking mechanism) so the ECU thinks the tailgate has hit an object. it then closes again.

If the car is level or the rear is pointing down hil its fine. But I need to have a proper look, which I need to fnd some time to do.

its a pain as its been fine for a over a year and is a godsend in the winter months when I have two kids and arms full of shopping in the wind and rain.
  10. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom london
    I'd proffer that the issue might be weak struts ? & 'decline' not 'incline'...
  11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm could be weak struts.
    Does the tailgate rely on the struts for the initial first lift as well as the main part of the tailgate lift action?

If they are weak is it down to seal failure iwthin the struts or could a simple polish of the strut bar help them a long the way?

I remember when I changed the drive motor for the tailgate I could not for the life of me undo the bolt holding the strut to the motor drive, it was solid. So if anybody has any tips I'd be grateful.