Electrical & Lights Tow Bar wiring

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ydraiggoch, Saturday 7th Sep, 2013.

1. ydraiggoch New Member Getting Started

Firstly, hi to everyone!!

I'm new to the forum, so be gentle!

I was wandering if someone might be able to help me? I recently bought a Towbar off ebay. I have managed to install this without to much of a problem. However, I am now needing to wire the 7 pin socket.

Can anyone help me with drawings or diagrams of how to wire the Towbar socket?

I basically have the 7 pin socket along with a sounder relay (5 core), which needs to be connected to the wiring in the boot. As I understand it, I need to take a positive feed from the battery but where is it best to do this?

I notice that there is a spare socket in the right hand side of the boot. I assume this is for a CD player or something, but was wandering if I could utilise that feed?

Again any suggestions would really be appreciated. I have looked through the site, but can't find what I am looking for. So apologies if I have missed it!

Thanks in advance

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Take a direct feed from the battery. It's perhapse a bit of a faf routing a wire through the car but you need the feed to be live with the ignition off so the hazards work. It also reduces the chance of overloading other circuits.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also fit a bypass relay.

This link should help.

http://towsure.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/how-to-fit-7-way-bypass-relay.html?m=1

Also fit an inline fuse on your feed from the battery at the battery end.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Why would you need to take a feed from the battery? The 7 pin socket does not allow for this, and it is not necessary if you are just towing a trailer. However, if the tow bar is for a caravan you will need an additional grey socket or use an Euro 13 pin socket which serves both purposes.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The bypass relay requires a 12v feed Robbie. I forgot to menchon about the bypass relay in my post but robB picked up on it. All towbar wiring irrespective of whether its 7 or 13, powering a fridge/caravan or just a trailer board. It needs a 12v feed from the battery.

6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Never realised that. I assumed, wrongly, that he wanted it for battery charging.

7. ydraiggoch New Member Getting Started

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any pics in the Blog you posted. But still good for info.

Does anyone know what the spare socket in the boot is for? Maybe this has a positive feed I can use?

Thanks again for all you advice.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here's how to wire the socket but when you purchase the bypass relay it should come with a diagram anyway,

http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/7-pin-n-type-trailer-plug-wiring-diagram

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    By spare socket, do you mean the 12 volt cigarette lighter type? That is for powering 12 volt accessories such as a tyre inflator or portable fridge. It is ignition controlled.

10. ydraiggoch New Member Getting Started

Hi Robbie, The socket is a grey connector type socket, one like what you see on the back of the lights. Like I say, I assume this is for a multi disk player for the boot. But I could be wrong???

Anyway, I have now purchased a suitable relay, as the one I had was just a buzzer and not a relay as described in this thread. I now need to work out how to get a wire from the Battery to the Boot without tearing the car apart. Anyone have any hints for me? what's the best way of getting from under the bonnet into the car? Or should I run the wire externally i.e. under the car along the break pipes? I have looked under the passenger footwell, but can't see an obvious way to route the wire.

Thanks Again

11. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I had a loom to run up to the front of the car and I did not want to rip out the trim up front. So I wired the seven pin socket to the right side of the car, No problem with the last two years. I still have fuses to trip on high current flows.