Electrical & Lights Towbar electric sockets

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by BanditSid, Tuesday 8th May, 2012.

1. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have recently bought a 58 plate tourer which came with a Honda removable towbar and 12n single socket, previously fitted by a dealer. I thought I would check it with the van plugged in to see what warnings I would get if an indicator bulb failed on the caravan, and found it was flashing away as usual with no warning lamp or beep. I thought it was a requirement to have some kind of audible or visual warning if a trailer/caravan indicator bulb failed, but when I asked the local dealer's workshop technician I was told there was no provision on the car and I would just have to keep checking the bulbs visually.

Does anyone know if the car has to be "programmed" to accept the trailer socket and check for faulty bulbs, or do you need to purchase a third party device to do this ?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hello and welcome to AOC,I have never seen the that feature enabled on the 7th or the 8th Generation , you may have to look for a aftermarket solution.

I would personally do the physical check to see the lamps are working than trust a device.

3. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply, I had a feeling that I might need an aftermarket add-on. I'll make sure that we check the indicator bulbs every time we set off, but I thought there was a legal requirement to have a warning for the driver of this.

Is there a list of features, that can be enabled or disabled via programming, available anywhere ?

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure there's no requirement for bulb failure, but in the back of my mind I remember last time I installed a towbar there was an audible warning when the indicators were on.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Agree with Rob. There's an audible warning when the indicators are on but not for anything else.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That how much I know about tow bars...:Crazy:

7. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Doc, that's what I thought there should be, is the warning device in the boot area or the dash ?

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's nothing to do with the Accord. It's part of the wiring kit for the towbar. As CJ said there is no feature on the 7th or 8th Generation for this, totally aftermarket even if fitted by Honda.

9. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Rob, I guess I figured with the car having fairly complex onboard electronics that this may be built in, I'll look into an aftermarket warning device.

10. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi
    I Fitted my Towbar to my 09 Tourer last September with 13 pin Electrics (Its the way to go, No more burnt out pins !!!) I used a dedicated wiring loom which just plugged in to the wiring loom in the boot, Indicator bulb failure on the caravan is indicated by a faster than usual flasher rate.It is a legal requirment to have some form of indication audible or visual of bulb failure.