General Towbar Vs reversing sensors on CR-V 2016

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by RichardTheKing, Saturday 24th Sep, 2016.

1. RichardTheKing Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

European Union Richard Lancashire
    I'm getting a tow bar fitted to my CR-V 2016 SE NAVI DTEC 2WD DASP, The guy at Honda mentioned that it may interfere with the reversing sensors. Was he just being cautious or has anybody had this problem?

2. Hatter Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Hi, we've got the 4WD version with a detachable towbar but when fitted it doesn't interfere with the sensors. I've read somewhere that a fixed towball might interfere, especially with the ball cover on.
    Sorry can't be much more help.
    Peter

RichardTheKing likes this.
  3. RichardTheKing Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I will ask the tow bar fitter to try it before he fixes it.

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have a Witter detachable flange type towbar that usually has a large bracket attached behind the Alko ball for my MaxxRaxx bike carrier. This, unsurprisingly, sets off the reversing sensors. I have recently changed the ball and removed the bracket to tow my motorcycle trailer and the sensors some days would operate but on others they were silent. Wierd!
    You can, of course, turn off just the rear sensors by following the instructions in the handbook. It's a bit of a faff at first, but you soon get the hang of it.

Pete C.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Is it a non genuine tow bar you are fitting?

RichardTheKing and PanayiotisPal like this.
  6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I have a Honda recommended Bosal towbar fitted by the supplying dealer. When fitted and in reverse, it does not activate the alarm sensors. When a trailer is connected and reverse selected it does alarm. Honda's approach to this is "switch the alarm off".

I've said it before on here, citing what happened automatically when connecting a trailer to the Yeti I used to have but unfortunately Honda are a long way behind other makes, e.g. JLR and VW group, when it comes to towbar set up.

Keith

7. Hatter Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Can't agree more. Our previous Toyota, a 2010 RAV4, turned the reverse sensors off when connected via the 13 pin plug. A 2016 Honda CR-V ..... Manual switch off and it turns the fronts off as well. Disappointing to say the least. Towbar charging and fridge electrics leave a lot to be desired as well.

8. RichardTheKing Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there any difference for the car if I ask for a 7 pins or 13 pins ( I can manage both with my trailer or caravan)?

9. Hatter Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Modern caravans are 13 pin.

10. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    13 pin are more secure and allow you to connect all trailers/caravans. They are definitely the way to go.

Keith

11. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Maybe there is a tweak that the disable button can disable just the rear sensors but the front stays on all the time (disabling the front sensors is not needed) ?, or maybe a hardware/software mod that will disable the rear sensors when a 13 pin plug is connected??? but will this also be considered a modification from the manufacturer specs ??? :Smile:

I believe that Honda should provide a more permanent solution, at least for the 5th Generation. Most don't have caravans, but I am also interested in buying a Honda trailer hitch and a trailer (for carrying things like wood or my tiny Kubota tractor, or olives :Smile:) thus it should not cause problems with the rear sensors when reversing.

Last edited: Sunday 25th Sep, 2016
  12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Sorry but I forgot to mention that if the unit you intend to tow has a 7 pin connection, you will need a 7 to 13 pin adapter for your car. They are very cheap to buy.

Keith

13. RichardTheKing Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the 13 pins is definitely more secure/solid than the 7pins and I should be able to change the ones I have got on my trailers/caravan. I can surely rewire easily for £6.50
    (amazon.uk:
    ).
    For the moment the quote I have received from independent towbar fitters are a similar price (and slightly more expensive) than the quote I have received for a genuine Honda towbar from my Honda garage.
    Honda Garage: Honda fixe towbar 13 pins £475 including fitting and VAT, and for a detachable one is £100 more
    I may decide to go for the genuine Honda because the Honda garage told me it will be under Honda warranty, therefore this should cover any problem like sensors detecting the towbar when trailer is not connected

PanayiotisPal and legend-ary like this.
  14. Hatter Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    If you intend towing a caravan you will also need the 12v line to power the fridge and charge the leisure battery whilst travelling. That will be additional to the quoted price you have mentioned (quite expensive at around £150ish).
    Peter

PanayiotisPal and RichardTheKing like this.
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    My 4th Generation SE has the ability to turn off ONLY the rear sensors, leaving the fronts operational and of course the rear is still covered by the reversing camera. The procedure is in the bible, but if you cannot find it (I keep an extra written copy) it is as follows:

Turn off the sensors at the button
    Turn off the ignition
    Press and hold the sensor button and turn the ignition on [ I I ]
    Keep pressing the button for 10 seconds. Release the button when the indicator in the button flashes
    Press the button again. The indicator in the button goes off and the beeper sounds twice.
    THE REAR SENSORS ARE NOW OFF
    To turn them back on again, follow the above procedure, the beeper sounds three times when the sensors are back on.

Good luck!

Pete C

16. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Excellent I will try it and see if it applies on the 4th Generation EX too.

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for explaining that. I had heard it could be done but no one seemed to know how. I couldn't find it when I looked in my hand book. Mind you, what a rigmarole, it just proves my point about Honda being behind other makes in relation to towing. On most makes, when a trailer is attached and reverse selected, the rear sensors are cancelled automatically (along with several other adjustments related to towing).

Keith

18. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I prefer to see this workaround/solutios,
    1. both sensors on and then just rear sensors off (front sensors stay on), rather than
    2. front sensors on (rear off) and then both sensors off.

Just an idea. Front sensors are always needed. Does this tweak behave like 1 or like 2?? If it is like 1 then I will have it done permanently (and forget about it) :Smile:.

Last edited: Monday 26th Sep, 2016
  19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ok tested and works but, we have solution 2. So both sensors off, and when on only front sensors work. It does not sound to me as good as solution 1 above.

Can this be reprogrammed if you agree that solution 1 sounds more logical to you???

Honda Service are you willing to reprogram this hidden tweak??

It is a safety concern when one removes trailer/caravans from the towbar, but forgets to remove sensor tweak.

Last edited: Tuesday 27th Sep, 2016
  20. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    The light in the parking sensor button is supposed to flash when engaging reverse after you have disabled the rear sensors, to remind you they are off. Never seen this myself, but it is not exactly in your eyeline!
    Also, don't forget to switch the sensor button back on after doing the tweak!

PanayiotisPal likes this.