Electrical & Lights Towbar Wiring 2010 Accord

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mark11original, Sunday 24th Nov, 2013.

1. mark11original New Member Getting Started

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a towbar fitted on my 2010 Saloon Accord. Rang the local dealer and he said €600 fitted. Sounds a lot I know so therefore I am looking at fitting it myself. The towbar is the easy part to fit, it's the wiring that I am unsure about.
    Will a genuine honda wiring loom plug straight into the car some where? Will be putting the standard 7 pin plug on the towbar.

2. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

3. mark11original New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the link it clears things up a bit. It seems a little different to what the Honda dealer is telling me, he says you have to run cable up under the carpet to the front of the car but from reading other forums this only needs to be done if the you are installing a 13 pin plug for caravans.

Got a price for a Bosal swanneck towbar and smart wiring harness today for £180. Will the smart wiring harness work in the same way? Will it switch off the rear sensors when reversing?

4. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the cable your dealer is talking about, it is used to provide the two power feeds to the 12S or 13 pin socket for the fridge and battery charge circuits.....not needed for a single 7 pin socket installation.

Bosal manufacture the towbars for Honda, or at least the removable Honda one I have, so I 'd imagine it will fit fine.....good price too. My towbar is here, the model number is AK4 :-

BOSAL

I can't comment on the wiring harness you mentioned, it might be worth asking them for fitting instructions so you can check it does what you want.....you might find it better to buy the wiring kit from Honda.

5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have fitted a lot of towbars myself but on some of my cars I had the wiring done at a local trailer fitting place and most it cost to fit the wiring was £6o on a Peugeot 5008 usually £45. have you tried anyone for wiring only :Thumbup:

6. mark11original New Member Getting Started

In response to Banditsid I had a look at the AK4 but ordered the swan neck. It will give the car some protection from others when parking, so I will leave it on permanently.

I have ordered the towbar and the smart wiring harness, all from a Bosal dealer in the North of Ireland. He says the wiring harness comes with instructions and my mechanic will install the towbar and wire it no problem €335 for everything, (towbar, wiring and labour) so should have it all done by next Monday or Tuesday. Ill add a picture when done.

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

good idea about the swan neck fixed it acts like an extra protection, as I have found out in the past when rear ended and only damage was to other car :Smile:

8. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi
    I fitted a Westfalia Detachable towbar to my Tourer and wired it with a dedicated wiring kit with a 13pin socket for towing a caravan and its very easy.All the wiring is plug and socket with just a small loom to get to the battery its not difficult

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Nov, 2013
  9. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a Bosal detachable swan neck towbar, which has a Honda badge on it and came with the car - looking unused. I have never used it but I, too, leave it on because it's the only protection for all that shiny plastic...

10. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    only problem with that is if you do get hit from behind it all probably damage the chassis.towbars are for pulling not absorbing impact. I always remove mine as soon as possible after unhitching.

11. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm in France. Its not the big bumps, it's the French habit of parking by touch that i'm trying to protect against.