Optional Extras Towing a caravan

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Bowler, Wednesday 13th Mar, 2013.

1. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having strange attractions towards buying a tourer with some positive remarks re the towing capability of the CR-V 2.2 (Have a 2009 CTDI).
    Any advice peeps?:Unknown:

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have just checked the details for your CR-V using my caravan as an example. My 'van is of "middling" weight: it's not a very heavy model, nor is it a light weight tourer. As you will see, the CR-V is an excellent tow car. Honda CR-V II - 2.2i-CTDi (103 kW/138 BHP)
    Date of manufacture: november 2004 - january 2007. Towball limit: 100 kg (Advise: 85 kg)
    Important for safe towing is the weight ratio between Car and Caravan. The weight ratio (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) for the Honda and Swift is 83%. This means that the match between car and caravan is perfect. The stability and safety index is good for this outfit.

The towing performances of this Honda with your Swift are perfect (performance index = 65).
    You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, top gear is applicable in most cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to match your car against any caravan you may be thinking of buying, you can do it here. http://www.towcar.info/index.php

Bowler likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff mate, I don't know a lot of about caravans I have hate relationship with them ! Just for your info from 2014 MOT rules do suggest for the first time they will need a MOT to be attached to any vehicle.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    It's not going to happen. The EU wanted all trailers to be MOT'd but the UK Government has vetoed it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    not happy but hey ho , shed pulling goes ahead. Doh2.

6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Welcome to the dark side :Wink:

Give us a wave if you see a blue FR-V tugging a Lunar 524 :Wave:

7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I know that a lot of motorists hate caravans with a vengeance. An alert driver, with a well balanced outfit, will not hold up many other drivers. The main problem is the driver who is immediately behind and will not overtake when it's safe to do so. I use my mirrors, and if anyone is stuck behind I slow down and signal, and pull in when I can. The number of cars just behind who don't overtake is annoying, and others behind that are then stuck. Don't blame the caravanner. My other pet hate is the driver on the motorway who crawls along in a small car - often a Nissan Micra - at 50 mph in the inside lane, and when you overtake, they overtake you and then drop back down to 50. I have had this happen dozens of times. It's as if they can't bear to be overtaken by a caravan.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yep, with you there! I towed for over 20 years before taking a break, and then 9 years with a motorcaravan. The advantage of the m/van is that at least you can overtake in the outer lane of motorways, not have to sit behind the middle lane hoggers:Rant: I am not looking forward to that!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know actually where you coming from. As a biker I have really good spacial awareness even in a car I am looking over my shoulder looking way ahead more than what Helen looks at when she driving :Whistle:. As national service back in the day, oldgit. every single new car driver today should do a CBT let them realise how vulnerable you are.:Fear: It will put the fear in them to be moulded into fine driver and riders once the barriers are broken and the person on the floor yielding you can seize the moment.:eek:

This would additionally give the motorcycle industry a steady flow of new entrants and revive the Zen Art of Motorcycling.

FR-V likes this.
  10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Yep, done enough gravel surfing (the last on a diesel spill 3 years ago:Angry:) in the last 46 years to appreciate my own vulnerability. A generation of motorists brought up on ABS/VSA/multi airbag equipped metal cocoons think they are invincible and drive like muppets. Its you and me that suffer when they wipe us out while texting on their mobiles:Rant:.
    I even had one old gent who did the SMIDSY when I was riding a WHITE expolice BMW with the lights on!! and another who insisted I must have been speeding - on my 1956 98cc Excelsior. If I ever get a ticket on that I shall frame it!
    I am now shaking down my newly restored 1920s flat tanker around the local lanes - no speedo or lights, rubbish brakes with the rear heel operated, hand throttle, air, advance, decomp, front brake, clutch and gearchange (thats SEVEN levers!) and running on narrow beaded edge block tread tyres. Forward planning is a must and traffic a major challenge!
    I have started wearing a reflective jacket for the first time in my life :Fear:

Boglost likes this.
  11. AlanP6 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having towed for 20 years I have just bought a 2009 CR-V 2.2 CDTi because it ticks all my boxes. My van is a Lunar Clubman with a maximum weight of 1500kg. I've just had a detachable towbar fitted (£390 with a fully wired 13 pin socket) and cannot wait to get away at Easter to see how well it performs. The maximum noseweight of 100kg was a big factor as well which means I don't have to be a fussy about weight distribution in the van. Incidently, caravans don't have a particularly generous load capacity and it is easy to exceed the max weight if you aren't careful. You will have to pony up for a set of towing mirrors. These range from under a tenner to over fifty quid. The main thing you will notice is that the MPG will drop drastically. My other towcar is a Skoda Superb which gets an easy 50mpg solo but only about 26-30 towing. Funnily enough, motorways mean lower MPG due to higher speed and non-aerodynamic design of caravans. My best MPG comes on A class roads doing about 50mph. Your speed limit is 50mph on single carriagways and 60mph on duals and motorways and you cannot use the outside lane on a 3 or more lane motorway. Reversing can be embarrassing if you haven't done it before. Buy one and enjoy it!

Bowler likes this.
  12. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Alan
    Should be OK re experience have towed car/transport trailers for some time. Will be interested to know how you get on at Easter

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Reversing:Aghast: - I thought that was why they invented motormovers!

I shall be out for the first time at Easter too, entertaining fellow campers with my rusty manoeuvering techniques and comical awning erecting :Smile:

BTW your advice on overloading is spot on, I did a test loading and took it to the weighbridge - 100kg over!! :Blushing: Noseweight was perfect though!

14. AlanP6 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well the first towing experience went OK. 120 miles there at 25.3 MPG on the computer. Only 22.7 on the way back though. The van was probably near it max of 1500kg.
    I was probably going a bit slower on the way there as I was still getting used to how it towed. Plenty pulling power and it never felt strained at any time. The mirrors are much bigger which meant that my strap-ons didn't fit too well so I'll have to get a new set. The van was probably near it max of 1500kg.

Bowler likes this.
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    The FR-V did well as a tug too, returning an average of 29 MPG over 300 miles. I got more on the way down as well, probably due to the wind direction, but was well impressed with the 2.2 I-CTDI engine and gear ratios. My Lunar Quasar weighs 1370 max and the car is lighter than the CR-V so that would be why I got better economy.
    The last time I towed with a 2.2 it was in the 80s with 1976 Rover 2200TC - the P6 - anything to do with your username Alan?

16. AlanP6 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Absolutely nothing. P is my surname.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys,

Can i ask a favour from all caravans owners can you all pool in and do a best practice guide for towing. This is regularly asked question from all Honda owners. if you need any technical questions .i.e maximum permissible load etc please let me know.

But i want a real life guide by honda owners rather than a generic run of the mill guide. Drop me or any of the mods for assistance.

18. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I collected my caravan this afternoon following its first service. Everything was fine except the ATC didn't work and no 12 volt to the fridge. The problem is the wiring to the tow bar so I'm taking the car in tomorrow to have it looked at. There is a girl on service reception who tried to tell me that the problem is with my caravan. She said I would need to take the caravan with me. I disabused her of that notion, but it annoys me that someone like her is trying to tell owners about the technical aspects of their vehicle. Here are a couple of pics of the CR-V with the caravan. View attachment 9048 View attachment 9049

Ichiban likes this.
  19. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Just returned from our French trip, 2,400 miles in 8 weeks, most of it with the van on the back - absolutely no problems with the car and an average of just under 30 MPG on the computer, verified by my fuel log. I did get a "pinking" rattle on light throttle on some of the supermarket diesel, but this has now gone with a tank of Esso's finest.
    If only the driver was as good as the car - I misjudged the turn into a parking space at a French motorway services on the very last day and now have a 2.5 m long scar down the side of the van courtesy of a rack on the scooter attached to a motorhome.:Sobbing:
    I must have slipped back into motorhome mode and didnt allow enough clearance for the van cutting the corner.:Blushing:

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh dear I hope the damage wasn't too bad bud, any pictures of the car on the journey?