Engine & Gearbox Towing again

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by karlak, Wednesday 4th May, 2016.

1. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know it has been mentioned before, but is there an official reason why the Auto gearbox on a Diesel CR-V has a lower towing towing limit than the manual ? We are possibly getting a Caravan this month and while the 1500KG limit shouldn't be a problem with us finding a suitable Van, some makes are over the 1500kg, so are not an option.

I guess it is Honda protecting the auto drive train ?

On that subject, anyone on here tow with a auto and a Caravan around the 1500kg mark. be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers
    :Smile:

2. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Yes Auto boxes can overheat when towing as the converters and clutches work harder with a bigger tow weight

3. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    IMO spoiling a good car with a tin home, please don't do it!!

4. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    The 1.6 with 9 speed Auto isn't gutsy enough, and it would struggle to find the optimum gear. I don't think you'll make top gear, having said that the 2.2 Auto should be OK.

5. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You do realise it isnt always attached. - pmsl..

Anyway, the reason we are getting one , is we can't do the usual holidays we used to. My wife has had to have a complete Gastrectomy, with complications due to having situs inversus levocardia (google it) and now is fed for 9 hours a day by a PEJ tube, meaning we need access to refrigeration and power to recharge the pump device. Believe me, a caravan is not my first choice, but sometimes life puts things in you way. This was major surgery and 31 days in Hospital after 3 previous stomach operations before deciding on the big one as no other alternative. She has also had to give up her job as a teacher as she is very weak for most of the day because she can only take in 1500 calories of synthesized food through the tube directly into her intestine through a hole in her tummy area.... All this and she is early 40's...

But, if it means you can have a cheap shot at Caravans, then please be my guest :Smile:

6. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    I know they are only user on the road to and from sites but I still would not get one.

My preference would be a camper van of some sort to see if you like the idea, if you are handy you could even convert the van yourself! easier to drive than a car plus van and can be more tailored to your needs, plus you are able to buy drive away awnings. Just my preference and opinion.

John.

7. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Whoosh !!

LOL

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda diesel Auto gearboxes have lower towing capacity to save the gearbox that is simply the reason why. Towing are known to burn out clutches in manuals but the auto boxes can suffer clutch burns out faster due to the higher temperatures.

You can tow above the recommended limit as the chassis is capable to do it but don't expect gearbox reliability. Lastly I am also not a big lover of shed pulling.

9. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Another reason is you don't get any engine braking with an auto so you put more strain on the brakes.

karlak likes this.
  10. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    That's an interesting thought. I wonder whether that's the reason the Hill Descent Assist switch on my CR-V never seems to do anything. I was thinking of getting the garage to check the fuse next time I took it for an oil change.

11. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    I am one of the social outcasts that pull a "tin shed" with a manual 2.2idtec. At a kerb weight of 1727kg an 80% (caravan club advice) match would be 1381kg so some of the light weight 4berth lunars at between 1400-1460kg would be OK for your auto CR-V. Even on the manual 6th gear is redundant towing as it seems to labour at 60 all loaded up.
    I tow a lunar ultimate 544 with a 1460kg with no problems. The VSA and tax cope as if van was not there.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Trailer stability control tsc not tax bloody predictive text....

12. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply, we are considering a Lunar Ultima 540, so very similar to yours I think. Most things I have read say the CR-V is a very good Tow car.

13. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've towed with a 3rd Generation and now a 4th Generation and I think it's a brilliant tow car, comfy refined and effortless. As for lunar vans they seem well made and easy to tow. Get a motormover if you can as they make shimmying a van a doodle. I burnt a clutch out on a 3rd Generation trying to reverse up an incline on a grassy field. It's reversing that does the damage as you are pushing against the van brakes. My fault and not the car.

14. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thank you Jeremy Clarkson, I shall be driving past Lincoln this weekend en route to the South of France with my tin shed in tow so I shall give you a wave! (Silver CR-V with Honda Karma sticker on the back window).
    I have had both motorhomes and caravans for decades and the main difference is that the motorhome/campervan is a superb touring tool on the continent but the caravan is better if you stay a while in one place (or if your wife fell off her bike - again! - and insists on a car).

Karlak, Lunar vans are a good choice, we towed a Quasar 524 thousands of miles with the FR-V with no problems, even using 6th on French motorways, but changed it when the floor started to delaminate.
    Now have a Coachman 450 which the CR-V tows effortlessly (so far!)

Au revoir.:Bye::surfing:
    Pete C.

karlak and legend-ary like this.
  15. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mon dieu Pete

Bon voyage

16. Otaio engineer New Member Getting Started

England Chris WARWICK
    Not correct on 1.6 diesel with 9-speed auto box. ( Not sure of 2.2 diesel with auto box). Steering wheel paddles enable driver to change down manually to achieve engine braking.

Just come back from towing in Somerset and used engine braking on downhills, very effective.

17. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Progress so far towing with the CR-V, it will hold 6th on the flat and 5th up the drags of the A20 if you switch off Eco mode, it's bloody thirsty, and if you have to drop down to 4th or 3rd and gun it to pass slow lorries on hills it sounds like a low flying Lancaster at about 2500 revs - boy is it harsh, it rattles your teeth!
    And the DWS comes on after an hour EVERY day.
    Not impressed.

Pete C.

18. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DWS???
    Towing from Chesterfield to St austell several times, never found it noisy but only get 23-25mpg. However, wife takes everything and some. Shudder to think what the gross train weight really is!!!!!

FR-V likes this.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  20. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never had any problems with TPMS/dws whilst towing. Obviously not going fast enough to generate sufficient heat. . Might explain huge queue of traffic in wing mirrors.. Almost as long as the list of Honda acronyms lol.

karlak likes this.