Optional Extras Towing capacity and kerbweight

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Saturday 23rd Jan, 2016.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    hi all
    After a little info please. I have a 2007 2.2cdti CR-V and currently tow a caravan with total weight of 1300kg.
    Pulls that with no issues.
    Looking to purchase a new one that weighs 1571kg and when I have been on towing sites, it states that it's very close to kerbweight and may have issues. I thought this car had a towing capacity of 2000kg?
    Does the kerbweight take into account occupants.
    Don't want to purchase new van and it be unsafe.

2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Hi Steve the recommendation from the caravan club is the caravan should not be more than 85% weight of the vehicle Kerb weight.
    But you can get over this by putting more weight in the car.
    TBO though as long as the caravan don't exceed this cars kerb weight your not breaking the law.

3. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Caravan club says my outfit would be 93%
    Why do they give a figure of 2000kgs when everything is based on kerbweight?

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I am happy to be shot down on this, but my understanding of this very confusing issue is that you can LEGALLY tow a trailer up to the manufacturer's towing limit.
    Your insurance company may take a different view if your trailer exceeds the kerbside weight of your car (the tail may wag the dog if the trailer is heavier than the car.)
    You also have to take into account the maximum train weight allowed for your car (fully laden car + fully laden trailer = train weight).
    By the way, the "kerbside weight" of a car is the official weight of the car with some fuel and a driver. Adding more weight to the car does NOT increase the kerbside weight, just the laden weight.

I use the Caravan Club matching service as a guide, and try to keep the weight ratio to 90% or less.
    I find it extremely difficult to keep the weight of my laden caravan to the MTPLM stated on the plate, putting the heavier stuff in the car which would aid stability.
    The prevailing attitude of many big 4x4 owning caravaners is "I can tow 3.5 tonnes, so it doesn't matter what I put in the caravan". Accidents looking for somewhere to happen!

Proper official guidance is sorely needed!

5. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice.
    As I say mine is coming as 93% on caravan club so not that far off.
    When towing, there will be me, my missus and 2 kids plus most of luggage in car so am I right in thinking this will put the ratio closer to desired level or does it not work like that.

6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    You are obviously not a novice tower, so 93% may be OK in your case.
    And, no, putting more weight in the car does not alter the kerbside weight (see my previous post)
    Happy caravanning!

7. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks.
    Sorry I misread your previous post. Will do some more research and consider a bit more

FR-V likes this.
  8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Think mines 1500 but obviously a newer diesels more. However I recon its close to the limit. Stay in a hotel and keep the roads clear ! - - best wishes Jeremy clarkson .