Tyres & Wheels TPMS Models

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by ricksmith, Sunday 5th Jul, 2015.

1. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all
    Thinking about trading my 63 plate Jazz without TPMS for a new one with TPMS. In new I mean a GB one not a new model one. My question is can I still use my full size honda alloy in an emergency situation without upsetting anything electronic wise??? Also would one think there could insurance implications if I were to use a non TPMS wheel on a TPMS enabled vehicle. Also any idea how much these honda TPMS valves would be??
    Thanks in anticipation
    Regards
    Rick

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is nothing stopping you to your spare wheel on a vehicle equipped with a TMPS system but you will get a warning on the dash as it can't communicate to the spare tyre. .However since I have a GP1 with the same set up I have been researching this and came up with the below with the help of the WSM. So if you use the tyre fluid sealant you have a 50% chance the sensor is not damaged. According to Honda if the fluid is used you have to follow these steps. I would advocate getting a space saver and save your TMPS sensor.

For more info refer to this guide Tyres & Wheels - 2015MY Honda JazzTyre Pressure Monitoring System -TPMS
    • Remove the tyre from the wheel, and remove the tyre pressure sensor (A) and the grommet (B) from inside the tyre.
    56702_TMPS_sensor.
    • Completely rinse the tyre pressure sensor with cold water to remove the tyre sealant.NOTE: Do not use any soap or cleaner. Use cold water only. Make sure the tyre sealant does not stick to the sensor. If the sealant has dried onto the tyre pressure sensor, then the sensor must be replaced .
    • If you are repairing the tyre for reuse, completely wipe out the inside of the tyre, fix the flat, and reinstall the tyre pressure sensor with a new grommet.
    • Wipe the fluid sealant completely so that the beaded edge of the tyre and the mating portion of the wheel rim and the bead are cleared.
    • The damaged portion such as punctures may be filled with the fluid sealant, depending on the extent of the damage.

Problems That Are Not System Faults
    Tyre Sealant
    Fluid sealant used to repair a punctured tyre can damage the tyre pressure sensor mounted on each wheel. It can prevent the system from detecting the correct tyre pressure, which sets a DTC C1821-78, C1822-78, C1823-78 or C1824-78 even though the system is normal.
    If the vehicle has Honda genuine tyre repair kit, use the enclosed fluid sealant. However, make sure you follow the procedure listed in Shop Manual to clean the sensor and conduct the operation test .
    Cold Weather
    When the weather is extremely cold, about -20 °C (-4 °F) or colder, the output of the lithium battery in each tyre pressure sensor may drop far enough that the TPMS control unit sets a DTC for low battery voltage (C1801-92, C1802-92, C1803-97 or C1804-92) even though the system is normal.
    Non-TPMS Type Wheels (Including Spare Tyre)
    Vehicles equipped with TPMS must use wheels made for the system. Every TPMS type wheel has an exclusive mark; do not use any other type of wheel.
    When a flat tyre is replaced with the spare tyre, the low tyre pressure/TPMS indicator comes on (DTC C1801-87, C1802-87, C1803-87 or C1804-87) because the system is no longer receiving the signal from the flat tyre's transmitter.
    This is not a problem with the spare tyre.

3. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi cj
    Many thanks for that. So I can use my full size OEM wheel that's good.....but the fact it can't communicate with the system and a warning is illuminated does this warning need to be extinguished by a HDS or similar system or when the repaired wheel/tyre is put back on will the light extinguish on the dash??
    Thanks
    Rick

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say no you need a HDS to remove that code and warning , however @Beefy could you confirm real live performance if the owner was to change the TMPS wheel back after a non TMPS wheel was on,Is there a way of turning that warning off without HDS.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Good question. It's not something I have come across yet, not seen one tyre inflation warning on the new Jazz setup. They don't have an i-MID like the Civic and CR-V and a different VSA setup hense needing the TPMS sensors. I strongly suspect you need the HDS but I will look into it and try to find out if there is annother procedure.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't worry the Jazz TMPS is completely useless all it has is a warning if the tyre pressure is low. Honda have just put that in to meet the legal requirements and quite frankly very poor. The Accord and others have real time tyre pressure on the i-MID, the Jazz has sod all.

7. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi cj
    Thanks for that. So if I had to change wheel/tyre as in previous senario a light would come up on the dash till the original wheel was reinstalled then presumably I could extinguish the light myself from the dash???
    Thanks
    Rick

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For now I would say no as beefy has said even he does not know if there was a sequence of buttons to press on steering wheel to reset that. For now it has to be done via the HDS.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My CU1 has TPMS. I was not happy with the tyre fluid set-up and potential damage to the sensor if it was used, so replaced it with a space saver. It does not have a sensor on it.
    @Beefy will give us the correct answer, but for now, my understanding was that the TPMS warning light would go out when a TPMS wheel is put back on. I think I read that in the handbook. I will check and get back to you later.

(It would be pretty annoying if I have to get the warning light cleared whenever I have a puncture. Surely, that is just daft?)

10. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Nels
    Thanks for that. ...I'll wait for beefy to get back to us.
    Rick

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it is normal operation for the TPMS light to come on when a spacesaver is fitted. so long as the same wheel/sensor is re-fitted the initiator sensor will recognise the wheel sensor ID and turn the light out. each sensor in the wheels is given an ID by the control unit. as far as I gather even swapping wheels front to rear can mean re-learning the sensors using the HDS. there is no information given to state that the warnings can be turned off using the i-MID either. so its a job for the HDS if adjusting the pressures doesn't turn the light off.