Tyres & Wheels TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) of 2014 Honda Accord EX CVT

Discussion in '9th Generation (2013)' started by AstroBike, Monday 22nd Sep, 2014.

1. AstroBike Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I've just bought a 2014 Honda Accord EX CVT, and found that the tire valve stems of this car are made of brass. I know this vehicle equips the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), and have two questions below regarding the TPMS;

1. TPMS valve stem material
    As far as I know, typical TPMS valve stem is made of aluminum (white color), and non-TPMS valve stem is made of brass.

Can you check up your 2014 Accord which has the TPMS whether the valve stem is made of brass or aluminum?

2. Physical TPMS calibration button instead of Vehicle Settings
    There is the physical TPMS calibration button under the steering wheel (left-side). However, the Honda reference guide shows that TPMS calibration should be done through the Vehicle Settings in the display screen.

Is it normal that the 2014 Accord EX CVT model has the physical TPMS calibration button?

Thank so much in advance.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Ichiban can you assist in answering the above please.

AstroBike likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @John Dickson mate you have TMPS on your Accord,can you assist @AstroBike with the valve stem question to what colour they are ? I too would say they should be aluminium ones. But it's good to check.

As for user calibration I doubt they are a way for owners to do it but will look it up.

AstroBike likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No probs mate.

Hi @AstroBike

The valve stems on TPMS equipped Accord are a silver colour, don't have the traditional PVC coating on them and it looks like the core is aluminium as opposed to the conventional valve stem which is definitely brass.

Here is one of my stems:

DSC01385.JPG DSC01384.JPG

I've only had to take the cap off twice so cannot recall what it looks like inside. I mean it is a standard Schrader valve but cannot remember what colour. I'll have a look tomorrow and post a picture.

As far as calibration is concerned, there is no way for an owner to do this on the European Accord as far as I am aware. I'm fairly certain our Accord does not have this button but will check.

The Owner's Manual explains that it is normal to have a slight variance in readings measured by TPMS and a tyre pressure gauge but if this difference is significant you should go to your dealer and have the system inspected, which suggests there is no user calibration possible.

Here are the relevant sections of the European Accord manual:

DSC01397.JPG

DSC01398.JPG
    DSC01404.JPG

5. AstroBike Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much all for your kind answers.

The valve stem of the 2014 Honda Accord series (from 2013) doesn't have the TPMS sensor attached like other non-TPMS cars (this is why it is made of brass). Instead, this Accord's TPMS uses the ABS sensor to measure the tire pressure. What a smart move!

John Dickson likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

ABS sensor to read the tyre pressure ?? That sounds intriguing ... wonder how that works !

7. AstroBike Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I read an explain below;

The new Honda's ABS sensor doesn't read the tire pressure but calculate the number of tire revolution. There is a TPMS calibration button (or setting menu) to memorize the correct range of tire revolution. If a tire pressure becomes different from normal, the number of tire revolution will be changed accordingly (out of the memorized/calibrated value range), and the ABS sensor detects it. Then the TPMS warning icon will be appeared on the instrument panel.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a nifty way of doing it.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. AstroBike Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks much for your reply, Number One (Ichiban) :Smile:

I read your previous posting about the 2014 Honda Accord TPMS. Then... my curiosity #1 is not solved yet. I checked up the tire valve stems of other 2014 Accord EX and Touring models and found they're all made of brass. Not like the common aluminum TPMS valve stem, Honda's new TPMS attached valve stem is made of brass?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've just found below article at "2013 - 2014 Honda Accord TPMS System | How To Recalibrate Patty Peck Honda". This is what I understood about the 2013/2014 Accord TPMS;

"Standard on all 2013 Honda Accords and up is a new type of Tire Pressure Monitoring System, or TPMS for short. The system uses the vehicle’s ABS wheel sensors to calculate air pressure based on wheel rotation. This system is designed to keep you in touch with your tires inflation by giving you a visual warning on the instrument panel if it suspects air pressure has dropped a significant level.

The TPMS alert will display a flashing icon of a tires cross section with an exclamation point on your instrument panel. The alert indicates that air pressure has dropped 25% or more below the recommended cold-inflation pressure. When this happens, stop as soon as possible, visually inspect your tires for damage, check tire pressure and repair or inflate tires to proper inflation.

In the event that you inflate, rotate or change one or more of your tires, you will need to recalibrate the system. Below you will find the TPMS instructional PDFs for each specific Accord Sedan model on how to calibrate your Accord."
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also found another article below about Honda's TPMS at "The Difference Between Direct and Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems | College Hills Honda Blog". It's worth reading too.

Now I do understand clearly why the tire valve stems of my 2014 Accord EX are made of brass :Smile:

-------------------------------------------

The Difference Between Direct And Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems
    August 6, 2014

Since 2008, every Honda vehicle is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System or TPMS. This system warns the driver of low pressures to help maintain vehicle safety and increase the life of the tires. This system has evolved from a direct system to an indirect system beginning with some models for the 2013 model year. What is the difference between direct and indirect TPMS and how do you know which version you have? Read on.

Direct TPMS
    Tire pressures are monitored using a TPMS sensor mounted inside each individual rim. This sensor communicates a wireless signal to a control unit in the vehicle. When the pressure drops below a certain level the tire pressure indicator will come on. This system typically does not require regular calibration however there are occasions where the sensors may need to be reprogrammed if tires are replaced or rotated. Instead of a standard rubber valve stem the TPMS valve stem will be made of metal. Each monitor has a battery inside that will eventually die causing your warning light to come on. The batteries are not meant to be replaced so the purchase of replacement sensors will be required when this occurs.

Indirect TPMS
    New for some Honda vehicles starting in 2013, indirect TPMS uses the vehicle’s ABS/VSA (Anti-lock Braking System/Vehicle Stability Assist) wheel speed sensors to calculate tire pressure. This method looks for changes in rotation or resonance that indicates low tire pressure. The system requires calibration any time the tire pressure is adjusted, if a tire is replaced, or if tires have been rotated. Vehicles with indirect TPMS have a calibration button located in the vehicle to initiate the calibration sequence. As of this post Honda models that have indirect TPMS include the 2013-2014 Accord, 2014 Civic, 2014 CR-V and 2015 Fit.

tpmscalibration-150x150.
    TPMS Calibration Button

tpmsstem-150x150.
    TPMS Valve Stem

rubberstem-150x150.
    Rubber Valve Stem

11. AstroBike Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Making A Comeback On Some Imports

by Larry Carley - Feb 13, 2014

Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) are the systems that do not have air pressure sensors inside the tires. Rather, they detect a low tire by comparing relative wheel speeds via the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) wheel speed sensors. When a tire loses air, its diameter decreases slightly.

Older indirect TPMS are not as sensitive to changes in tire pressure as direct systems that actually monitor the air pressure inside the tire, but they are not as expensive either. An indirect TPMS is a relatively affordable add-on to a vehicle if it’s already equipped with ABS. Even so, the vast majority of vehicles that have TPMS use direct systems rather than indirect.

123783X07SPCO01_00000073076.

Federal law requires the TPMS to alert the driver if the pressure inside a tire has dropped more than 25% below the recommended inflation pressure. The same rules apply to direct and indirect TPMS. Many vehicles abandoned indirect systems for direct systems to meet the federal mandate.

One of the weaknesses of older indirect systems is that they may not turn on the warning light if all the tires are underinflated by a similar amount. If the recommended pressure is 32 psi, but all the tires are 24 psi (down 25%), the system won’t know there’s a problem because all the tires will be rotating at the same speed when the vehicle is being driven.

New systems are taking advantage of better wheel speed sensors and modules to make indirect systems work. Indirect TPMS began making a comeback in 2011 on all Audi models. The highly popular Honda Accord switched to indirect TPMS for the 2013 model year. The 2013 Mazda CX-5 is now also using an indirect TPMS. Some of the VW Golf platform vehicles have switched to an indirect TPMS. Most of these models have the optional ABS and stability control system.

But even the newer systems suffer from the inability to read the tire pressure when the vehicle is sitting still.

Indirect TPMS applications include:
    • Audi 2011-’14
    BMW X5 2002-‘05
    • Honda Accord 2013-’14
    • Lexus LS430 2004-‘06
    • Lexus RX330 2004-‘06
    • Mazda CX-5 2013-’14
    • Mercedes C-Class 2007
    • Mercedes SLK 2005-‘07
    • MINI Cooper 2004-‘07
    • Toyota Corolla 2005-‘07
    • Toyota Matrix 2005-‘06
    • Toyota Solara 2004-’06
    • Toyota Highlander 2004-‘06
    • Toyota RAV4 2004-‘05
    • Volkswagen GTI 2007 and 2010
    • Volkswagen Jetta 2005-‘07

WHERE TO FIND RESET PROCEDURES
    All of these applications use a similar technology and strategy to detect a low tire, but there is no common reset procedure. Toyota is probably the best, with only one simple reset procedure for all of its indirect TPMS (though a slightly different procedure is used on the Lexus models).

With so many different reset procedures, it’s important to make sure you’re using the right procedure for the vehicle you’re servicing. TPMS reset procedures may also be found in the vehicle owner’s manual (if it hasn’t been lost). Open the glove box and check the index in the owner’s manual for any TPMS information.

INDIRECT TPMS RESET PROCEDURES
    As a rule, most indirect TPMS have a RESET button for recalibrating the system. A reset is typically required after adding air to a low tire, after changing or servicing a tire, or after rotating the tires on a vehicle.

Larry Carley
    Larry Carley has more than 30 years of experience in the automotive aftermarket, including experience as an ASE-certified technician, and has won numerous awards for his articles. He has written 12 automotive-related books and developed automotive training software, available at www.carleysoftware.com.

[Cited from "Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Making A Comeback On Some Imports"]
    - - - Updated - - -
    I could find more articles about indirect TPMS. Below is from "Tire-Pressure Monitoring to Become Cheaper and Easier - Consumer Reports News".

Tire-pressure monitoring to become cheaper and easier
    Indirect monitoring makes a comeback, proves concept is not just full of hot air
    Published: May 10, 2014 09:00 AM

2014-Honda-Accord-ATD-wheel.

Car tire-pressure monitoring systems have been mandatory since September 2007, addressing the safety hazard, and wear concern, for underinflated tires. The goals were admirable, but the execution could frustrate owners with costly sensors and increased tire maintenance complications. But that is beginning to change.

When it was introduced, the best available technology was direct tire pressure monitor systems with an air pressure sensor in each wheel to detect pressure loss. Also available were indirect tire pressure monitoring systems, which, measured a tire’s rolling radius, not pressure, using the car’s existing antilock brake hardware. The idea here is that an underinflated tire rotates faster than a properly inflated tire. While indirect systems are far cheaper and less complex than direct systems, they weren’t able to detect the loss of pressure in all four tires as stipulated by the federal regulation that can occur gradually over time.

Honda_Accord_14_2835_FL.
    2014 Honda Accord

But now Sumitomo Rubber Group offers an indirect tire pressure monitor system that can detect pressure loss in one to four tires. It works by comparing the difference in the loaded radius of any one or more tires to settings collected in a calibration process when the tires were set to the normal pressure. The 2014 Honda Accord and Civic use the system, along with the Mazda6. Expect more vehicles to adopt the system or systems similar to it in the future.

We like the direct pressure systems used by many car manufacturers that display the actual tire pressure in the dash. On the downside, sensors can go bad or be broken when removing or installing a tire on the wheel, and they are costly to replace—about $30 or more each.

Mazda_Mazda6_14_2765_LN.
    2014 Mazda6

But with no sensors to worry about, indirect systems are very appealing. Beyond cost savings, they make it a breeze to use aftermarket wheels and dedicated winter tires without incurring the added expense of duplicate sensors.

The simplicity of this indirect system is definitely attractive and likely to grow in popularity. For our wish list, we are holding out for the best of both worlds: a direct readout of pressure without the cumbersome and expensive wheel sensors.

—Gene Petersen

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is what is called Tyre Deflation Warning on UK Civics, CR-Vs and Jazz. This may have been replaced with the Accord's TPMS system for 2014 to meet EU law however.

When I picked up my Accord, I asked the dealer if it was a 2014 model with TPMS and they told me they weren't sure what that was so I explained and they then told me that the 2014 Accord doesn't come with this it comes with tyre deflation warning which doesn't detect actual pressure just a flat, or partially deflated, tyre. The downside of this is, as @AstroBike says, that if all the tyres are underinflated by the same amount, there is no difference in wheel-rotation rate and therefore the system will not alarm, whereas TPMS will still alarm. This is the same reason why ABS is more of a hindrance than a help when driving on snow or ICE. A 4 wheel lock-up produces a zero difference-in-rotation-rate so the ABS will not help you out as it does not see the problem.

I knew they were wrong in this and that 2014 Accord in UK comes with TPMS which is a bit more sophisticated and gives you the reading of the actually tyre's pressure and then alarms if it gets too underinflated.

A UK Honda dealer who doesn't know about the Accord.......who'd''ve thought it? :Rolf:

13. seegath New Member Getting Started

Can TPMS be desabled on my 2014 accord cu1? I have a set of rims with winter tires that I can 't use 'cose there are no TPMS valves on them? So, if I fit those wheels on my CU1 there'll be an error on my dash?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. seegath New Member Getting Started

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @seegath as far as I know the i-MID is always looking for the sensors its part of the speedo gauge you remove the sensors and wheels this will cause a error on the speedo. In all honestly I can't answer it definitively as I don't have a TMPS equipped car to hook up to HDS and look under gauges menu to see if this feature can be disabled.

I will find out for you if I don't forget, please remind me if I do.