General Track Days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RogerH69, Monday 1st Jun, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I'm thinking of booking myself on a 'Novice only track day' at Brands Hatch on 6 July.

Anyone here attend track days regularly / semi regularly ? How's the Brands Hatch course for an absolute beginner ? Anyone been on the Novice Track day organized by MSVT at any of the UK tracks ?

2. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger I haven't actually drove on a track day but at most of the UK Time Attack rounds there are public track times,which are normally a few feeler laps following the course car,then once he is happy that there are no problems then he pulls off and let's the cars go.
    You can drive as fast or as slow as you want.
    Here's an example at Cadwell Park last year there were various sports,saloons etc and guess what took the crowds attention???
    A Nissan Cube driven by an older gentleman,he was last in the queue and by the time he reached the end of the pit straight he was passed by the lead cars. But he didn't care he just pottered round at his own pace until his time ran out.
    So it's not about driving fast but just enjoying the experience of taking your pride and joy around a track.
    Oh by the way there was one very lucky VW Golf R32 driver those that know Cadwell this guy was travelling at speed down through the Gooseneck toward Mansfielfd, ahead of him at Mansfield was a Focus diesel(typical rep car) the guy was entering too fast and lost it, he went sideways straight on up the banking then got it back only to come back towards the track and went backwards across the track in front of the R32 I would put money on that the R32 driver had a strange item in his underpants when he got into the pits it was very very close. So just watch out for others making mistakes.
    Selina has been at a track day at Cadwell park today I'll get some info from her when she gets home later(she's been to Brands with Time Attack) and knows it fairly well.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you go to any of the Time Attack Rounds there are always public Track time usually about 3 or 4 20 minute sessions.
    Check out there web site for details of where and when. You'll probably find me there if you go.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've convinced @nick-b to take a day's leave and come with me. Only costs an extra £10 for each additional driver (as long as I'm happy with them driving my car around a race track.... hmmmmm I m ay need to rethink this :Wink: )

MickyB and Nighthawk like this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have a great day but if your using your own car on the track, just be aware, I've seen a fair few people seriously damage their own cars taking them on track days.

Make sure you get track day insurance.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm gonna take it easy on the track. just want to get some track time and experience before the japfest 2 meet. Already getting quotes for insurance. Looking at about £60 I think

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As @SpeedyGee says, be careful. its very easy to get mesmerized when driving at high speeds with others around and sometimes that can just make you push a little too hard.

Enjoy it, look forward to seeing lots of pictures

RogerH69 likes this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm hoping I can convince @nick-b to act as camera man, so I get more pictures / footage other than the front and rear dash cams.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I assume a normal motorbike helmet is suitable as a safety helmet on track ?

SpeedyGee and Nighthawk like this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

I honestly have no idea mate.. sorry

9. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi roger
    brandhatch is an excellent circiut you will be on the indy circiut (short track) which is idea and great for not taking out to much on your car and great for smaller capacity cars
    i have raced their in my formula ford on numerous occasions in the past and have experienced many tracks round the country and it still remains a firm favorite of mine
    I've done many track days there in numerous cars and will be running some trackdays there next year hopefully for honda car owners
    advice on the track
    lsten to the briefing ! don't be afraid to ask questions
    don't be in a rush to the first corner (paddock) take a steady pace for the first couple of laps your soon familiarize yourself with it:Smile:
    paddock ben is rather daunting at first as its a blind right but its a good wide track so mistakes are easily rectified, once youve got it right its really exillerating as the car compresses at the bottom of the hill and your stomachs in your mouth !!! and your flying up to druids don't brake to late !!
    kerbs to avoid paddock inside(right) and surtees inside (left)
    if you over cook it the run off areas are very good so youve got to really be trying to hit something thats hard:Grin:
    overtaking is only allowed normally on the straights and on the left hand side only so you only have to be aware of faster approaching cars on one side

honestly i could not reccomend a better track for your first experience

m/cycle helmets have a different rating to car racing so check with brands first ,they generally supply helmets there
    if you can afford it put some harder pads on your car standard brake pads can dissapear very quickly !!!!

one big piece of advise if you get up to speed and start flying round the track when you come back in the pits to park up don't PULL ON YOUR HAND BRAKE!!! you can end up cooking your brake on just leave it in gear

if you do book it give me a shout and i,ll try and get down for the day
    if have any more questions or doubts just ask
    regards
    slim

RogerH69 and Nighthawk like this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the advice slim. I've already booked it. Im planning on taking it slow till I am more confident and comfy with the track. What brake pads would you recommend ?

11. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi roger
    ferodo and ebc make a range of pad for track use for your car can be a bit pricey
    may well be coming with a friend thats asked me for some tuition

RogerH69 likes this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @tviracing - Would EBC Yellowstuff pads be ok for track day use as well as normal driving ? I don't mind putting new pads on to help, but don't want to have to swap them again after the track day.

13. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi roger
    i think you will find these a really good alround compromise
    just phoned brandshatch today there are 5 spaces left for anyone else that fancies a go
    any one thats got to go a distance camping the night before is allowed
    if a few of you want to show up i WILL come down and help

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@nick-b is coming with me as a passenger only. Would be great to get some more club members to go. Weather so far looks to be sunny and warm, so a great day out by the sounds of it.

15. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    guaranteed to put a smile on your face :Grin:
    sorts the men out from the boys:Smile:
    so many people bolt this and that to their cars re map them brag how fast their car is on the road put them on a track and they drive like w&nkers :jumpy:

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

I havent done a track day for years (get my fun legally anyway). Completely agree slim mate. Have a great day guys

17. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi roger
    crash helmet question
    a good condition m/cycle helmet or car helmet is totally acceptable
    the track does hire out their crash helmets at £10 a day

do not forget to take your documents especially your driving licience

another friend of mine has booked in his 1998 hyundai f2 coupe and may be a possible 1st Generation Civic will make an appearance !!if i can get the prep work done

Last edited: Wednesday 3rd Jun, 2015
  18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I saw they rent out helmets, and reserved one. but I bought myself a car helmet as well, seeing as I'll probably need one for other track days. I'll bring it along on the day and see if the track officials think it's good enough.

Would be great to meet you (I was actually thinking that it would be great for the club to maybe try and organize a 'large scale' track day for club members at some stage - but just a couple of us is a good start)

I paid for some training on the day as well, so I'll be taking it very slow at first, until I feel more comfortable and confident with how my lil Civic handles.
    - - - Updated - - -
    So I went ahead and ordered the EBC Yellowstuff pads for front and rear (they're not cheap, but stopping IS important on a track) and @nick-b will help me put them on the car (and bleed the brake fluid) the weekend before the track day.

@tviracing - where do you get track insurance from ?

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would that be you screaming then Roger:jumpy:

20. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Eh ?