Suspension, Steering and Brakes Track Rod End Replacement Questions

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Tuesday 31st Mar, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    While having my alignment checked They mentioned slight wear on the track rod end on drivers side. I sort of know what this is, but was wondering -

How difficult would it be to replace?
    Should both sides be replaced at the same time?
    Would a slightly worn track rod end cause play in the steering wheel?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Nighthawk did a guide on them. It was on the 7th Generation Accord but the principle is the same.

Replacing Inner and Outer Tie Rods

@Nighthawk marked as Intermediate skill rating.

If the other one is not worn you can get away with replacing just the drivers side one.
    - - - Updated - - -
    You will need to get alignment checked again if you do change a track rod end.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @SpeedyGee . Intermediate sounds a little too much for me at the moment. Guess I'll have to sweet talk @nick-b :Smile:

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @RogerH69 , if you can wait till next month, Im going to be replacing the tie rod ends on the Ep2 as they have some play in them. Its really not a hard job to do. I personally replace both sides at the same time, my reasoning being that they have both done the same amount of work and arent expensive to buy, but as @SpeedyGee says, you don't have to. Never changed them on a car with EPS, but it looks to be the same.

A loose tie rod end could make your steering feel slightly floppy.

@tonygw changed his the other day (on an Accord however) Suspension, Steering and Brakes - Offside track rod end change

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nighthawk , I'm not in a hurry to get it done. I was wondering also if there's any known issues on the EV1 / 7th Generation Civic with EPS ?

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    From researching the EP2's EPS noise, I have come across quite a few posts about issues with the EP3 (assuming related to people throwing them around constantly), but no idea about the EV1's although I assume that all the Civics this gen use the same rack.

You can test your tie rod ends but grabbing them with your hand and rocking them back and forth. You shouldnt be able to move them much, if at all, if they clunk from side to side, you need to sort them out. A better test is, if you break the ball joint, and therefore the rod end, free from the hub, you should struggle to be able to move the ball joint shaft with your hand. They should be nice and tight, if you can move it easily with your hands/fingers, then I personally replace them. The ones on the Accord just flopped around when I shook them, let alone trying to move them with my hands :Whistle:

Just one nut and a hammer to properly test them out

RogerH69 likes this.