Tyres & Wheels Tramlining

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 22nd Mar, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Guy at the main Honda Dealer said that Continental's were the best tyre to eliminate tramlining. Is there any truth with this? (I can't seem to get the bold text off!)

John Dickson likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did he explain why he thought this was so ?

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had Yokohamas on my 7th Generation 2.0 i-VTEC SE with Penta Alloys. When I needed new tyres, the service manager said his brother had the same wheels and tyres on his 7th Generation and put Continental sport contact on and that eliminated the tramlining. Apparently it's a phenomenon on the OEM Yokohamas that came on 7th Generation with Pentas. It worked, the tramlining was eliminated.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange never had a issue with Yokohama for over 16 years infact they are the most forgiving tyres and subliming handling tyres ever. Infact the problem lies with penta due to their excessive weight and Yokohama being light tyres and a softer tyre wall .

I would rate these the best in my view
    Yokohama
    Bridgestone
    Michellin

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could well be the Penta wheels to blame CJ. On my 3rd Set of Yokohamas on my 8th Generation and they're faultless!!! Will always buy Yokohama Decibel E70s now they're such a good tyre. They wear well (get 20,000 miles out of a set if i rotate them) handle and ride well and quiet too! A good all round tyre.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    He never said why, I just figured he knew from experience. He just mentioned it in passing comment whilst test driving my car as I was booking it in for a geometry check etc.

Cheers guys for the advice on tyres, I'd already put a new set of Uniroyals on which do feel like they tramline a bit but I'm still waiting to get the aligment done.