Engine & Gearbox Transmission fluid change

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by matt park, Friday 15th Aug, 2014.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Anyone got any tips on a transmission fluid change for a 2002 accord sport? Do i need any special tools?
    I know i'll need a new washer, anything else? Also, isn't the filler bolt a bit wierd? One more question (sorry), what do i do with the old fluid?

Many thanks

Matt

2. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    Hi matt as for the old oil, your local recycling place should be able to take it mate. I got to do trans fluid on mine to as mine is very notchy until it's warmed up so will keep an eye on this post for advice aswell lol.

matt park likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Strangely I've just asked this exact question on @Chunkylover53 's thread. It seems the drain bolt is on the bottom of the box, and has a level fill bolt on the drivers side, in the wheel arch, I think it will take a 3/8's ratchet to crack it free, but do this BEFORE you undo the drain bolt, as its too late when you realise you can't undo it, after you have drained the old oil out.

I would advise you use Genuine Honda MTF-3 oil as its been designed to be used in Honda manual gearboxes

matt park and Chunkylover53 like this.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure how I missed this...

Anyway as Harvey says, use MTF-3.

matt park likes this.
  5. vtecjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jamie Bridgwater
    I'll take the advice aswell lol.

matt park likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    matt park likes this.
  7. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how i get on when i find time to do it

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Open the filler bolt first, you don't want to drain the fluid only to find you can't undo the filler bolt.

Make sure the car us level when you fill up and all, do not overfill, the level should be aligned with the bottom of the hole.

You will need some fish pond piping to fill up, I bought some 1 metre fish pond piping and 90 degree connector and just inserted this into the filler hole and filled up the oil from above the engine

Very easy job, should take max 30mins, make sure to torque back the bolts.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good suggestion about fish pond pipe. Its tricky finding a pipe that is just right in diameter, you want one that isn't too narrow and therefore takes ages to fill the gearbox and conversely you don't want one thats too big in diameter as you won't be see the fluid come out of gearbox when the fill level is reached.

Fish pond pipe seems a good choice :Thumbup:

Last edited: Sunday 17th Aug, 2014
  10. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Local knowledge, loving it

Zoot likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@exec, what diameter fish pond pipe do you use ? Is it 10mm ?

12. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    That was my next question? Also, what connector did you use?

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Let me dig out the ones I bought from ebay, they were just smaller than the size of the hole which was around 12mm from memory.

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So this is what I bought: BLACK CORRUGATED FLEXIBLE HOSE FISH GARDEN POND FILTER PUMP MARINE FLEXI PIPE | eBay

I got the 12mm one, as the filler hole is 13mm

Then I stuck a 90 degree 12mm pipe at the end, similar to this:

Plastic Barbed Connector Pipe Hose Joiner Tubing Fittings Air Fuel Water Petrol | eBay

Here's a picture of it, the black one is setup you want as the pipe is flexible:

WP_20131021_003_zps65ac1f6e.

Then of course had a funnel inserted to the pipe on top to put the oil in.

Just fill up oil until it starts dripping out, and let any excess oil drip out, it takes roughly 1.9l from memory, also remember to replace the washers.

AndyB1976 and SpeedyGee like this.
  15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

you can also get those pumps that will screw onto the generic tops of oil bottles and can therefore pump the oil into the gearbox from a lower level, with no need to pour the oil into a funnel from higher up.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

exec and Nels like this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That would do just as well.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Those pumps are expensive aren't they, near £100, those syringes would work but I get the impression they would take ages to do and wouldn't last very long, the old tube pipe method works well, albeit a bit of a faff.

19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some of them are,.but I am sure I have seen cheap plastic ones for not much money floating about for less than £10

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★