Engine & Gearbox Transmission selection.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by V6vtec, Saturday 21st Dec, 2013.

1. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone,

I've had my Accord Coupe V6 for a couple of weeks now and plan to give the car a major service. However today the car pulled away and then went into idle 'mode' as if it couldn't find a gear whilst still in D4. The revs raised slightly and I had to put the car into 1,2, D3 and D4 to get the car to go. Onced the car had warmed up it was driving fine through the gears and had like a 'turbo lag' occasionally but onced up to 80mph+ the car was fine pulling through range above that speed and in kickdown mode too.

I'm planning to give the gearbox oil a flush and change, is there anything else that I need to do?

I once had a Prelude 2.2vti that developed the same problems with the triptronic gearbox and left it too long to do anything about it and then it wouldn't select any gears and had to get a new gearbox.

I know prevention is better than a cure. Is there anything that I need to do/

Cheers
    Sean

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if the problem is still there after you do the flush and change it may be an additive will help but not cure it, best have it checked out before you get caught out :Search:

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do these auto boxes have an oil filter in them too? If so change that too although you might need someone to check if they do have one.

4. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll think I will flush it out at least twice to get rid of any old oil that's in there. Hopefully it might cure the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

I m not too sure if they do have a filter. I used to have a BMW 635i coupe that had a filter in the auto gearbox. Once I had changed it, it went like a rocket

5. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    My understanding is that you need to drain and refil the gearbox at least 3 times to get most of the old oil replaced and that you replace about 2.5 lts per drain out of a capacity of about 7 - 8 lts.

As far as I know you drain and replace the fluid, cycle the gearbox through the gears then drop and replace again and repeat.

The B7XA gearbox has an internal screen filter, that you can't access unless you seperate the gearbox from the engine, this can split if you try to powerflush the ATF out. Some of the solenoids have mesh screens as well and I've seen information that they can get clogged and affect the shifting

You tube video from Eric the car guy on a honda ATF change.

How To Change Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

6. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the advice, is it true that I drive the car for about 100 miles going through the gears and then do a second flush and the same again for a third flush?

Cheers
    Sean

7. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    I don't think 100 miles is nessceary, driving it enough to get up to running temperature would be enough I would think, that should ensure a good mix of the new and old fluid.

8. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks honeybadger and canobill for the advice and tips. After changing the fluid the car changes gear more smoothly now and there is no delay in changing gears. However the car cannot find second gear when cold, but finds it when the car has warmed up. I ve heard that there is a solenoid that controls 1st and 2nd gear and is there a mesh on the unit that could be cleaned?

Cheers
    sean

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is the fluid level correct after the change ? Fluid level needs to be checked when engine it a full temperature.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what fluid did you use ?

10. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello speedygee,

I used the correct fluid that was supplied to me by the Honda dealership in Norwich. So do I check the level when the engine is up to running normal temperature?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There should be a hot and a cold mark on the dipstick, so you could check it at either temp points but I think it's better to check it against the hot mark when engine fully up to temp.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There seems to be a lot of assumptions made here what is the best way of accurately get the ATF fluid change and the prerequisites.. time for a article ..watch this space it will be up soon.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got back from a long run and checked the fluid level and it is spot on and where it should be with the engine warm. There was no hesitation from changing from 1st to 2nd gear. Just thinking could anything else that I can do help the odd hesitation. Would a diagnostic tool help me?

15. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    I know a thing or two about auto transmissions :Blink: and its recommended you reset the transmission control unit after every fluid change as you can create more problems if the original glitch persists or harder shifting develops. I'm in Burton on Trent and as a fellow member I would happily test and reset your transmission for FREE, Also I'm currently about to repair an Accord V6 Gearbox for more info drop me P.M

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stuart owns one of these beauties so he best placed to guide you on your car.:Wink:

hughezee likes this.
  17. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's very kind of, but I'm in Norwich. I would be very grateful if you could tell me how to test and reset the transmission.

I'll send you a pm

Cheers
    Sean

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What ever the fix is please share it in the open I am all in favour for getting issues solved but when stuff is behind doors it does not help anyone else.:Hey:

DeviateDefiant and V6vtec like this.
  19. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    Apologizes for the delay, first thing I would do is find a reputable garage or dealer with the correct diagnostic equipment that is able to operate and test the shift solenoids and if all ok proceed to reset the AT control unit and the Engine ECM separately. Reset both and engine noise and shifting should improve very quickly. Also the fluid should be in good condition as this symptoms you speak of can be effected by old fluid even its clean it only lasts 7 years before it stops lubricating correctly regardless of the mileage'

Hope this helps m8y

20. V6vtec Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks for the reply, tried to find the obd2 connector the other day and had a look this morning to reset transmission and ECU, do you know where they are please. Can't be that hard to find surely lol.

Cheers
    Sean