Off-Topic Travelling North

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Monday 7th Mar, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    So I intend to travel up North for a long weekend this Thursday. Normally I take M11 - A1(M) as it is closer to me and almost always is open with minimal roadworks. I have tried M1 once and almost 60% of the time it had 50-60mph limit and I hated it.

However this is the first time I am travelling with my newborn so would like to have the option of making as many stops as necessary so having frequent services would be best. Any ideas which of these would be better for travelling with family?

map.PNG

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Wow, tough question! I quite like the M1 and the short stretch I'm familiar with (J9-J20) has a fair numbers of services, but I know what you mean about the speed restrictions. I'd be worried about the alternative route being more vulnerable to blockages caused by accidents or breakdowns?

Take care up north...

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    When I took the wife and little one to Harry Potter world, I drove down the M1, plenty of stops and no traffic problems! I was very lucky.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

2 Votes for M1. Hmm.. I mean makes sense as it is an actual motorway not an A road converted to M and has more than two lanes..
    I guess because I will be leaving on a weekday I might actually miss all the traffic of weekend..

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I travelled down on a Monday and came back two days later on the A1 which have fewer stops compared to the M1

Last edited: Monday 7th Mar, 2016
    legend-ary likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would chose the A1 as there are no 50 miles zone it can be slow also with two lorrry trying to drag race for miles which can be infuriating. I recommend stopping at the OK diners for some quality food and milkshakes.

M1 is boring

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A1 mate M1 breaks way too easily! Nothing wrong with lorry drag racing @Ichiban haha actually find I pass more cars than trucks car drivers should be fined for going so slow on major roads lol

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate if the slower lorry yielded then the other guy would pass , they both maintain the same speed causing tailbacks. Its ridiculous

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It would be like you giving way to a C or E Class, :Fear: but I know what you mean about lorries passing each other. But that's life. There are good lorry drivers and there are the rest.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @legend-ary plan for the worst and then you won't get caught out. Whatever happens, just go with the flow. Hmmm, maybe that's the wrong expression when travelling with a newborn?

Last edited: Monday 7th Mar, 2016
    legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Rolf:

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I would take M1, never travelled on it but I would imagine it has more service stops and maybe its safer traveling slow. :wheelchair:

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Did @Nels edit his comment. :Tongue: I don't see this.. what did I miss??

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It was edited out (not by me) by mistake, but I've put it back.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You have 50mph roadworks between Watford and Hemel, and then again from Luton to around J16 or so with average speed cameras.

Invariably, you will also have a german marque car sitting 1.1mm, possibly 2mm if he is feeling nice, from your rear bumper on the M1 too

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Good advice there Nels. I don't hop around too much so I don't mind M11/A1(M)
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I always stick to the posted speed limits so I know what you mean.. they come and sit well underneath my bumper and beam me but I don't budge and instead slow down a bit as I am more than happy to let them pass me at 99mph.

Nels likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I spent 6 years using the M1 between Milton Keynes and Leeds weekly, and rarely had a serious issue - maybe 4 or 5 times in total.

To the South if there are issues you can use the old A5 easily. And as you suspect, with a newborn in the car at least the regular service areas offer some respite if needed. You can also divert off at East Midlands airport and go M42/M40 and then M25 if you really need to (I've done that at least once when the M1 was closed).

I've only used the A1 twice over the same period, and both times I found it to be a nightmare. Problem is, you can never predict what will happen - any road can be terrible if something bad happens.

I've also used the M6 a lot, and hate it. Traffic jams seem much worse than the M1 in my experience.

legend-ary likes this.