Off-Topic Tread Depth

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 4th Feb, 2016.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Which is better for measuring tread depth? I use a digital one which is also a pressure gauge but would an analogue type be better?

Was in the dealer today to get my wiper blades changed and also because I'm measuring my front tyres at about 3.2mm and the rears at around 3.7mm. At the front it's almost hit some marker in the tread which I thought would be 3mm but I think it's actually a 1.6mm marker. BMW recommend changing them at 3mm so they said bring it in. It's under maintenance contract with an independent finance company so no skin off their nose I guess.

They came back saying there was 62% wear exactly on all four tyres (it's on the internal invoice), which is around 4.5mm, which is bollocks of course because they wouldn't all wear at the same rate.

I'm careful to make sure the gauge I use is flat with the tyre but as the needle isn't central I don't think it's as good as an analogue one which has a large flat surface on both sides. But even so, I'm definitely not pushing it into the tread and can't get anywhere near above 4mm unless I tilt it away from the tread! lol

This is what mine looks like:
    41V5jgl7NIL._SY300_.
    I'm thinking this may be more accurate?
    27298_TGG2.

One thing I did notice was they had a pretty cool car wash system. It's like a big square frame which rises up and basically soaks the car from all angles at once! Saves a lot of time compared to going around with a pressure washer. I'll chuck a wee video up of it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say, the technicians appear to be very professional which is something I noticed at Mitsubishi also and they were always calm and just got on with the job. The technicians at Honda unfortunately weren't like this, lots of complaining, sighing, shouting and gave the impression that every job pissed them off. I suppose if the end result is good then who cares, most people wouldn't know any different.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    5P coin does it for me. If you want accuracy then digital is better.
    That just stems from management style and discipline from the top down, nothing to do with manufacturer all of them are franchises not the manufacturer directly.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been having a little look at some tread depth gauge tests and it seems that some of these digital ones can be out as much as 0.4mm. I don't really need to spent £35 on a VOSA approved calibrated digital one so may just get an analogue one as a backup and to compare against my digital.

I can only imagine what the Honda workshops are like in Japan.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Did you mean a 5p coin or should it not be a 20p coin? Doesn't really help me measure 3mm though! lol

Last edited: Thursday 4th Feb, 2016
  4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Tread ! That's very bad for economy you know ! When I pay as much as £10 for a tyre that lasts me 20k or ten years I guess a 20 p coin is the worlds best depth gauge .

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I use some AA ICE scraper that has a piece of plastic you can use to measure the tread depth, its no more useful than a coin, if the tread looks low then i'll change it regardless anyway, you can tell when its low and leaving it to 1.6mm is bad practice IMO.

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I totally agree , I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Its just I run my CR-V on a shoestring and could never justify spending over £300 on a set of tyres as its more than 50% of the cars value.
    As said before I made sure the rubber was good before purchase and then bought a set of alloys all with good tyres so I'm set for many years with the miles I now do.
    I'm trying not to think of the bad old days when I used to wait till the metal showed through !