Guides Trim holding License plate - how do I remove?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Saturday 6th Sep, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I have some rust just under the trim that holds the license plate on my 2004 Civic Type-S (see here)

Could anyone tell me how to remove the trim so I can see how far the rust goes ?

Thanks in advance

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Roger,
    When I saw your car in the garage I immediately spotted this rust I knew this was the same as mine on my EU5. This was a manufacturing defect buddy basically the fantastic factory that is Swindon forgot to add a foam pad to the tailgate trim.

This caused water to stay in the trim without drainage causing the rust, There was a TSB for this where the fixed this issue, maybe the previous owners didn’t take it into Honda and complain about it so it never got addressed. You can fix the rust but grinding it off to base metal , treating the rust then a full tailgate respray... but without that foam it will come back. I will dig out the TSB details.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I see it's TSB#04061 (rust on license plate trim), but can't find more details on it.

Last edited: Tuesday 10th Mar, 2015
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think you gain access from inside, so some trim will need removing.
    No 6 on the 2nd diagram looks likely ?

civic tailgate.

civic tailgate lining.

RogerH69 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Many thanks !!

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you don't have them already, I recommend a set of trim removal tools.
    Only a few pounds. Makes the job easier and less chance of damaging the car.
    There are many different types, but these are the ones I have.

IMG_5917 . 1.

RogerH69 likes this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks, I'll go order a set quickly.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd recommend going individual as suggested as i have a multi purpose trim remover and it's crap.

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Nels likes this.
  10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here you go:

asddsa.

asddsaasd.

Nels, SpeedyGee and RogerH69 like this.
  11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm back at this again guys, as I've now got a bee in my bonnet about this rust, so will be taking the chrome trim off the back of the tailgate to have a look at the extent of the rust.

The way I understand it, the issue is caused by water sitting between the chrome tailgate trim (which houses the tailgate handle and the number plate lights) and the body of the car. Surely this means that the foam padding that is missing (and causing the rust) is in this section (and not the full door rubber as indicated by part 6 in the blowout diagram above) ?

If so, then I do not know how to order this missing foam padding, as it is not listed on any parts diagrams I can find. In fact, the chrome trim is not shown on any parts diagrams that I can find either. @Ichiban - you mentioned you'd dealt with this before. Would you know what I need to order to put in place once the rust has been dealt with ?

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I thought you had already sorted this, can't keep up with the speed you are working on your car at.... :Laughing:

In my opinion and experience, I wouldn't worry so much about ordering the part at the moment (hear me out). Weather is starting to turn decent again, so strip it back and see the extent of the rust. If it has popped all the way through, it will need to be either cut out and welded back in again or, and this would likely be the cheaper option factoring in welding, painting costs etc, a second hand boot, however if it is still minor surface rust which is just causing the paint to bubble, then it COULD be treated. I would strip it back first, see the extent of the damage, either way it needs to be repaired, so if you do it yourself (depending on amount of damage), it will be a couple of days anyway before the trim goes back on which gives you plenty of time to check it out and then order the parts as necessary.

At the moment, you might be buying parts unnecessarily. Strip it back, it needs repairing anyway, during this time, you can order new parts if needed. If you need a hand mate, Il help you out.

Nels likes this.
  14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @Nighthawk The part I need is the part that is missing and which caused the rust in the first place (some foam padding). No matter how bad the rust is, I will need the part anyway, so I may as well get it sooner than later (it will encourage me to get it sorted sooner too).

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can understand that @RogerH69. I like to have everything ready before I start a job. Also, you can then do it as and when.