Introductions Trying to find a 2.4 Accord......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Karl_T, Monday 22nd Dec, 2014.

1. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Hiya, hoping to become an Accord driver. Actually have a deposit on one with Reading Honda but its subject to them replacing the sunroof, not sure its going to happen.
    Is the extended guarantee worth it?
    Do 2.4 manual estates come up much?
    Are there *any* '08 '09 ex's out there with good sunroofs?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello and welcome to HK @Karl_T :welcome:

2.4 tourers do come up now and again, but not as frequently as the other specs. I am presuming that the one at Reading is a the current shape? i.e an 8th Generation.
    As for the sunroofs, yes there are plenty of good ones, but alas there are some that needed a fix. IMHO, the Extended Guarantee is worth having, especially on a used car as you don't know for certain how previous owners have treated her.
    I hope you do manage to get things sorted and are able to enjoy the pleasures of Honda ownership.:Hey:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Good man, you've uploaded an avatar already. :clap::Thumbup:
    Are you into diving then?

3. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Thanks for the info. Yup, keen diver. Have dived all over the world, can' t get enough.

Yup the Reading one is an '08 8th Generation. Low mileage and tidy, but has lived in Aberdeen for too long and the salt's torn into the sunroof. It's an auto, drive's well but doesn't pick up like the manual. Shame that silver one was so scruffy, might have prized me out of my estate phase. :0)

4. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    There is a saloon currently at Marshall Honda in Harrogate but it is a 7th Generation and automatic.

I drove this car last week and it is a fabulous drive. It is the first time that I have driven a 2.4 and, who knows, I could even be converted into driving a petrol! On a 120 mile trip up the A1 at around 70 mph all the way it was showing fuel consumption of 42.5 MPG, again quite impressive.

Just one problem though it has ADAS and LKAS and there appears to be a problem with this system with the LKAS warning light on all the time. A figure potentially well into the thousands of pounds has been mentioned as a possible cost to resolve it. A real shame as it looks and drives immaculately and has covered only 55k miles with full Honda service history

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I was going to look at this but CJ pointed out it had too many previous owners, 6? I think.

7. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Not as keen on the 7th Generation ones. Particularly not the estates. And the only thing that'd prize me out of an 8th Generation estate would be a chance of a low mileage, v tidy manual one. But thanks for the heads up.
    Karl

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I have to admit that the Honda guarantee that came with my CR-V was definitely worth going to a main dealer and paying that little bit extra in the first place. I must have had about £3k of work done on my car under warranty and still have about 8 months left it.

But then the petrol Accord is a more reliable car...

9. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    "I must have had about £3k of work done on my car under warranty..."

Wha? You're not supposed to be putting me off here. ;0)

Karl

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol I guess it's difficult to know how the previous owner treated the car. I've got a list of stuff done in my garage section, it wasn't all warranty work though.

As we all know second hand can always come with risks no matter what the car but at least the warranty gives you since peace of mind?

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  11. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Now I get why Honda Reading are uncertain if this deal is going to be viable for them. First I saw this video:

I saw this and thought "What's the big deal?" Two screws, followed by four torx bolts, job done. Then I found: 37192fb9ecb80f95023ec90fd0710b9d.
    12 PFKL761827 GLASS ASSY., ROOF £846.08

So just the frame glass and rubber is north of £800? Holy cow....

How can something so outrageously expensive be so poorly made it rusts thst fast?

My ghast is flabbered. :shock:

Karl

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Given that it's a known issue @Karl_T, you can very often persuade Honda UK to subsidise the cost of replacement. Have a search on the site and you'll find a few members who have had their sunroofs replaced :Smile:

It's one of very few common issues on the 8th Generation, I wouldn't let it put you off.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to the club

14. Karl_T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Karl_T UK
    Still waiting to hear. The joys of Christmas shutdowns....