Engine & Gearbox Tube and syringe to remove overfilled engine oil

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Friday 27th Feb, 2015.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hello
    Petrol engine 2.4, 2007, Accord

Has anyone used a clear plastic tube and syringe to remove engine oil from an engine that has been overfilled?

What size should the tube be (inside and outside diameters) that you would push down the place where the dipstick is?
    Any tips/tricks to avoid getting oil all over the place.

Anything to watch out for.

I've never done this sort of thing before.
    Always wary about shoving things into places where they are normally not meant to be.

Thanks

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Personally, I would loosen the sump plug and let it just dribble out until the excess is gone. I wouldn't go shoving anything down into the engine from above. The sump plug is the safe way and you can control the flow as long as you don't remove the plug. It will be messy, but at least you arent risking any kind of damage by shoving foreign objects into an engine.

Just my thoughts.

steve4536 likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    How over-filled is it?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    hondream likes this.
  5. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Thanks for the replies. It seems to be way above the maximum hole on the dipstick.

Speedy - just saw your old photo with the extraction tube going into the dispstick tube.
    Tools - Sealey TP6903 Oil Extractor (compressed air operated)

I assume you didn't have any issues putting the extraction tube into the dipstick tube, and then removing the extraction tube from the dipstick tube?

So an extraction tube with a outside diameter of 6mm should fit easily into the dipstick tube?
    Thanks

On other cars, I have tried draining the oil from the drain plug by just letting it drip slowly, but it takes ages. So not keen using this method, although it is safer.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Easiest way drain the whole lot change the oil filter give the car a early oil change and learn from it. A mistake should never be repeated, that's how you learn.

Bones126 and Nighthawk like this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Actual correct advised oil level is halfway between low mark and max mark. It's a common misconception that the correct oil level is at the max mark. It's not it's half way between min and max.

From this midway point to the max mark it takes 1 litre of oil. If you are above the max mark, you are at least 1 litre over filled plus however much is over the max mark.

So you could be like 1.5 or 2 litres over filled, if you don't want to do as @Ichiban suggested and do complete oil change I would suggest taking out about 1.5 to 2 litres of oil out of the drain (remove the drain plug fully, not the drip technique you were talking about. Judge the amount that comes out and take out about 1.5-2 litres. Taking out a bit too much won't hurt, you can simply top up to the correct level afterwards.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yes it fits perfectly and easily in the dipstick hole. What I do is I measure it against the dipstick, this gives me an idea of how much of the tub will down.
    I think push it down until it hits the bottom.

Bones126 and exec like this.
  8. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Thanks for the replies, really helpful.

I think i'm checking the oil level the wrong way.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How do you mean your checking it the wrong way ?

10. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I've been checking the oil level stone cold (i.e. car has been stood overnight and not started).

11. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall

12. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Thanks to everyone for your input.

The oil has been extracted.

Just to clarify, the overfilling wasn't by me, but the dealer that last serviced it.