Engine & Gearbox Tuning box

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AlanR8, Thursday 26th May, 2016.

1. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    Anyone have any experience with the TDI Tuning box?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The general consensus (loads of info around the net) is that none of those plug in boxes don't really work that well. They tend to trick the ECU into behaving differently, faking the info going back to them etc. If you wish to do a bit of tuning, get it done professionally. It will be more expensive but they will then ensure that everything is within safe parameters etc.

3. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had one....not good....blows up high pressure pomp

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Agree, avoid like the plague. Either a proper remap using a rolling road to see before and after or an off the shelf remap from a highly reputable supplier, preferably if you can actually get a device for uploading the map yourself as you can then usually revert it to stock yourself whenever necessary.

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    As said avoid like the plague as they can cause more problems than there worth.
    2 choices get a proper map as said or buy a faster car if this is what your after.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's a good point raised about getting a faster car and a good example is my mates SAAB 9-3 2.8T which is remapped to 320BHP and over 500Nm torque. It's slightly less torque than my car but a fair bit more power and the acceleration is insane when the big turbo kicks in proper. He's already mentioned that the brakes can't cope at high speeds as well as he'd like, traction and control is difficult to maintain as it's only FWD and the traction and stability systems aren't designed for the extra power etc. I can put my foot to the floor and get almost no slip and stay in a straight line. I can floor it out of a junction at a near right angle and the car maintains complete control with only a slight twitch of the back end. The car is designed for the performance, his isn't.

Of course you don't have to go mad with the remap, but to get serious power you'll just knacker a whole load of parts in your car from the turbo to the clutch and the suspension trying to cope and end up with an unsafe car unless you are willing to spend a lot of money upgrading everything upon which you'd probably be cheaper buying a car built for it in the first place!

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Totally agree if the purpose for the remap is for performance gains. If the remap is purely for getting better fuel economy rather than speed, then thats different to me. Of course, I have no idea what the OPs reason for wanting a remap is. Whatever it is, get it done professionally.