Engine & Gearbox Tuning Boxes & Performance Chips: Worth It or Not?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by si_d_2003, Tuesday 22nd Oct, 2013.

1. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've come across these a few times saying they boost the HP to 170, now, are these an alternative to mapping or do they cause any damage because its not mapped properly. The make I saw was made by bluespark.
    Anyone had any experience?

2. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    not worth it, can caused more troubles then you think,if you want more power get your car to proper tuner who will remap your car on dyno as every engine is different ;-)

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've heard a lot of people who try these boxes end up going to a proper tuner in the end to get the job done right.

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Another idea is if you want more power from your car is to change the car.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

yup I second that !

6. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    if you'll have your re-map done properly, by right man who now what is he doing you don't need another car as that's not the point, we may start another saga if it's worth to tune car or buy something more powerful ;-)

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure I agree about having to buy another car because many of the other mainstream manufacturers offer Accord sized cars with powerful engines and factory upgraded parts:

AUDI: You've got the S4 and RS4
    BMW: You've got the M3, M5 etc
    Mercedes: You've got AMG
    Mazda: You've got the Mazda 6 MPS
    VW: Passat R36
    Mitsubishi: Evo
    Vauxhall: Vectra VXR or the VXR220
    Subaru: Impreza WRX

To name a few.

But what if you don't want any of these cars and want an Accord and it's reliability and refinement but with performance to match these? There's nothing on offer over here so tuning and upgrading is the only option until they bring back the Type-R with the Accord.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Well said Graham :Thumbup:

9. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, just browsing parts and came across this, i knew they were about but didn't know much about them.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would 2nd getting it properly remapped as I've been looking into this a lot recently for my petrol and it's been some search I tell ya! A lot of talk about doing it properly so that you don't go too far and damage things as a good tuner will know how far to push it. I did eventually find someone who can remap my petrol one but they advised against it purely on the basis that I'd feel ripped off due to the cost not reflecting the gains I could get.

They said that in order to get any significant gains I'd be looking at starting off at a grand minimum and would basically have to upgrade the car from intake through to exhaust. To get serious power I'd have to look at a turbo or supercharger, but then we are talking about £4K upwards plus upgrading all sorts in the engine. Just not worth it for me.

If I ever become desperate for extra performance then the only alternative I like at the moment is the Mazda MPS which you can pick up for decent money, is reliable and a fairly decent car. Can be tuned also :Smile:

But the Accord has enough power for me at the moment to be honest. :Smile:

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

But the minute you start messing with the tuning you potentially take away the famous Honda reliability.
    There's also the warranty implications.

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's some warranty he must have! lol

But I do appreciate the reliability aspect, especially if introducing 3rd Party parts. However, we do know that car manufacturers tone down their cars to meet the various emissions targets etc of various countries so if you use a reputable tuner then they should know the safe limits to take the car to. This is from an remap point of view of course, not tuning through adding/replacing parts - although surely there are top quality 3rd Party parts available?

Would it not be considered a safer option to tune a car as reliable and over engineered as a Honda, which should be able to take a little extra stress than to opt for something like an M3, which is probably guaranteed to go wrong?

:BavarianTractor:

I just wish Honda would come out with something like the MPS because the Accord's 2.4 is actually an excellent performing engine considering it's naturally aspirated. Take the Ford Mondeo, they need a 2.5 and a turbo to gain pretty much the same 0-60mph figures. There's not a huge amount of weight difference between the two. So could you imagine a 2.4 Accord given the whole performance treatment. I'm thinking something like the Mugen 24sc but without the huge spoiler. Does anyone know any figures from this car?

Mugen Accord 24SC

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    With pure Honda OEM parts, you can build-up a solid K-Series engine. We have the Euro-R/TSX on the same platform, then the Integra Type-R DC5, the Civic Type-R EP3/FD2/FN2s - it's easy to boost stock performance and stick to genuine parts.

Try that with a diesel? You have nowhere to turn.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  15. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had once this box on my avensis 07 diesel, after few weeks, high pressure pump just stop working, results ? high pressure pump was in two pcs, cracked and thats all!! cost over £300 second hand....

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a problem with a tunning box on a 04 nissan Primera so had to take it off as it kept putting the car into limp mode. I'd previously had a professional remap on my old Impreza and never had a problem so did some research again before getting the I-DTEC tweaked. 12 months on and the Accord is still fine.

17. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agreed and if the tuner is a simple file uploaded with minimal experience then their mistakes can be very costly for your pocket. That said I have constantly considered whether I should take the plunge, then my brain kicks in and points out hat my luck with cars would no doubt mean I go through a clutch and DMF
    in a week. :Smile:

18. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    unfortunately clutch/DMF is unavoidable repair after remap and if you decide to do it you need to be aware that sooner or later it will give eventually, but IMHO it's worth it anyway :Whistle:

19. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah the temptation is there. Noticed my eyes have started wandering onto autotrader and been thinking that it want something with a little more poke. Trouble is car now has 101k and on 2nd clutch the first having gone at 50k after just 2k miles of my own so no idea whether it'll be due a new one soon or whether I have another 20k miles in it. (M62 doesn't allow me to hool around.

20. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    you need to ask yourself if you want to keep a car for some time and what you expecting from it, if you want just drive easily for some time then keep it standard, if you want to keep it for a longer period and have a bit fun with some more torque/power do a remap, change to SMF and upgraded clutch and enjoy ;-)