Engine & Gearbox Turbo whistle on Accord i-ctdi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jimmy1973gb, Friday 20th Feb, 2015.

1. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    My car has turbo whistle, I thought it was normal but my uncles accord doesn't have turbo whistle and his is also sharper acceleration than mine.

What causes turbo whistle?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Has there been any work done on the car recently prior to this noise, if it is then something is not plumbed in right.

3. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought the car in Jan 2015 and it was like that.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well then it something not plumbed in correct mate 99.9 % or your turbo is showing fist signs of wear. You need to get it checked out ASAP before something abrupt happens. Sorry to scare you.

However the pre facelift car a few suffer from timing chain noise if the revised timing chain was done in warranty so it quite easy to misdiagnose a timing chain noise rather than a turbo fault.

5. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car had new timing chain fitted under warranty. I've looked at the original advert when it was listed for sale and it had new turbo fitted at 150k miles. Car now has 162k.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need a I-CTDI expert to look at your car to see which is causing that noise however if it is the timing chain it won't get worse or increase you will never eradicate it.

7. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    When I owned my Accord, it also had turbo whistle, but only when the engine was cold. Never caused any problems in 6 years.

8. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car is driving well, its not a big noise, only a small whistle. Im not to worried about it, but was just wondering if it was a loose intake hose. I've looked but can't see anything. Its good to know you got 6 years with whistle and had no problems :Smile: