General Turning off Sat Nav

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Tuesday 5th Apr, 2016.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi
    Once the built in Sat Nav is on, I can't find a way to switch it off.

Anyone know how to switch it off (without turning the engine off)?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Press the A/C screen button, once on that screen leave it there and the screen will timeout after 20 seconds or so.

hondream likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Press the sun/moon button a couple of times. It will turn the screen off.

hondream likes this.
  4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just wondering why you would want to turn it off? is it a distraction? As mentioned press the sun/moon button a couple of times should do it.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't think this actually stops the navigation, just dims out the screen.

My Sat Nav no longer reads the DVD but with hindsight had I switched it off all the times that I never actually needed it, it would have put less wear and tear on the laser and have lasted much longer.
    Were it to be working no I would always switch it off when not needed by pressing the A/C screen button and letting it time out there.

hondream likes this.
  6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ah right so If I enter the AC screen and let it time out, this stops the navigation?? that's a handy top tip!

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes

Nels, hondream and jimjams like this.
  8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I never knew that there was a way to actually turn it off when it is running, the method I have used in the past (when the satnav got me to roads I know) is to stop the car, switch off, switch on again, and don't press the "OK" button LOL

hondream likes this.
  9. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    That's what I've been doing. :lol:
    But always thought there had to be another way for such a sophisticated car.

jimjams likes this.
  10. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I don't think just turning the screen off actually stops the DVD drive from working.
    AFAIK the DVD runs constantly once the car is on, thats why the units fail at 4-5 years.
    The only way would be to remove the disc and leave it out until required,

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm sure that using the method I described when you try accessing the Sat Nav again, it restarts and ask you to press OK.

Can someone try this and reconfirm as it's been a long time since my Sat Nav was last working.

12. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    From my experience if you press OK to the boot/info screen then pressing away on any screen just stays on that screen. It only blanks out by not clicking OK, which applies from whichever screen it is on be it heating controls, audio or the initial boot screen. Otherwise yes, the day/night colours button will do it but that also changes away from auto if that's what you would usually set it to.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The A/C screen is different, try it.

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Some things that I've just tried
    1. turn on, the satnav comes up with the ok button, starts to load from the DVD, even before you press ok
    2. press the ok button and the screen always stays on (even if you press the A/C button)
    3. don't press the ok button, and the screen times out. If you go to A/C (or any other button) then the screen times out if you don't press buttons quick enough
    4. press the ok button, put in a route, same as 2
    5. having pressed the ok button and put in a route, if you then press menu, then select "previous" and a "do you want to continue" message comes up, press "yes" and the route has gone from the screen when you press map, but otherwise same as 2

so only way to stop a route without turning the ignition on and off, is 5
    if you pressed ok at the start, the only way to blank the screen is to use the "moon" button
    - - - Updated - - -
    btw, my car is pre-facelift CM2 exec

hondream and SpeedyGee like this.
  15. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Will be trying all the solutions put on here.

@jimjams
    5. having pressed the ok button and put in a route, if you then press menu, then select "previous" and a "do you want to continue" message comes up, press "yes" and the route has gone from the screen when you press map, but otherwise same as 2
    When I press MENU, i can't see anything which says PREVIOUS.
    My car is a FL model. 2.4

16. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Update......just writing from memory so may not be exact.

Pressing the moon/sun button 3 times turns the screen off. However, sat nav continues to give directions.

At the map screen, press the BACK ARROW button, and select switch off GUIDANCE....this stops the sat giving instructions.
    The press moo/sun to switch off screen.

I don't think you can switch the sat nav off as per turning off ignition. But the above sort of puts in "standby mode"