Insurance Two car insurance policies?

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 22nd Mar, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Insurance renewal is due in 45 days and I know that the Admiral group are the only ones who will insure me for a reasonable amount. Last year I paid £750 with nil NCB, 1yr license which was very cheap IMO.

Around a week ago I got a quote for this years renwal at £623 which again is reasonable. However the quote is only valid till 26/04 while my insurance expires on the 04/05 so there's 8 days difference. No worry I thought, I'll just get another quote when it is possible to buy insurance at my renewal date, 8 days later I requoted and the premium shot up to £680! So in 8 days they increased my premium by £53.

Per day the cheaper policy minus overlap will cost me £1.75 daily while the more expensive policy without the 8 days overlap will cost me £1.86 so I'm paying around £40 extra for no reason.

So can I just buy the cheaper insurance and waste 8 days with no obligation to cancel the existing policy etc?

EDIT: Forgot to say old policy is with Admial, new one is Elephant. Basically the same insurers. Next cheapest was £4100 or £850 with a tracker

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm in a very similar situation to you being around the same age, Admiral Group and a company called Premier are the only ones who offer me cheap insurance without a box.

With the Admiral group you need to get a quote done around 45-60 days before your renewal, and then ring them up again 30 days later before it expires, and ask them to go through the details on the quote to confirm the price (as you're looking around or whatever), and to start the policy from the date your current one ends. That way, you have the quote on the system, at the cheap price, starting when your current one ends, and you can then use that for renewal. If you don't follow up and get the cheap quote date changed before it expires, then it becomes invalid as you say.

All you need to do, is ring before the 26th, get them to go through your details on the £623 quote (doesn't matter if you haven't got the number, they can search it by your reg) and ask them to go through the details with you and change the start date to when your current one runs out. You should be set.

Bare in mind my car has a lot of mods declared, but my cheapest (with 1NCB) was £811, then as it approached the renewal that jumped to £1150. I managed to get it at the £811 using the method above. I checked the other day and a new policy would now costs me just £599 annually.

There's a game you need to play with Admiral to milk their prices lmao.

EDIT: By the way, in the last 30 days or so before renewal no Admiral company will offer you quotes at all online unless you slightly modify the details to beat the automated "policy up for renewal" checker.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant! and yeah you have to keep on persisting to get them to reduce their prices. Last year I ended up with 40ish quotes to the point where they stopped offering me quotes when I used my name but if I used something else a quote would be generated. I'm gonna keep on tweaking the £623 quote, in fact I managed to get it down to £611 by declaring my car value as £950 instead of £450. Anyway that's my elephant quote sorted.

Now I'm going to tweak my Admiral quote, it's £20 more expensive but with the following app I should be able to get it down considerably, it may help you too? - http://www.admiral.com/appydriver/

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Nice one mate, thank you for the link. Just tweaking my initial quote (like job "Graphic Designer" instead of "Web Developer", and "Road outside of Home" instead of "Driveway") when I first brought the car brought me down from £1680 to £1360. I'd never promote insurance fraud, but tweaking within the truth can save you tons. My mother got hers down by putting "Private Tutor" instead of "Teacher - Private Education" and so on.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I did the same for my parents insurance, this link proved invaluable http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

I cannot change Undergrad living away from home which considerably increases the price, one of the things I'm most grateful for however is the fact that they ask for when the car was bought and not when I started using it. There's around £500 difference between 2003 and 2012!

BTW the app is a bloody pisstake sometimes, I've done well over 250 miles but I don't bother turning it on sometimes because I keep on going into VTEC hence speeding, harsh braking etc which is always picked up on.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I believe I read that myself a while back y'know. I couldn't really utilise any app like that with the way I drive unless I knew I was going to be going slow intentionally, I'm not one to go breaking the law, but I do accelerate harshly all the time and always sit at the highest speed limit.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quick question - can I put my parent on my policy even if they have an Automatic license?

I recall reading from somewhere that an Automatic license driver can use a manual and their license would act as a provisional or is this bull because adding reduces another £35

EDIT: They will never drive the car - also I am not fronting, I am the main driver.

EDIT 2: I gave my neighbours address and the quote decreased by a tenner - same road same postcode etc. Afterwards on the elephant site I switched it back to my address with no change in the price - try this at renewal.

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Apr, 2014
  8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I couldn't imagine insurances companies, knowing that they will look for any reason to avoid a payout would allow a driver (automatic) on a manual policy.

However they might view them as a learner and adjust the policy for that, assuming they have a manual provisional.

That's just my opinion however, not fact in anyway.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I see no reason why you can't, as you say they are entitled to use their automatic license on a manual under the same regulations as someone with a provisional. You wouldn't need to declare that AFAIK.

For the record, my Mum is on my policy as a named driver (she genuinely does drive the car at times when I'm back home).

That's not a bad find, the difference between my Dad's old house and my Mum's used to be £80. They were two streets away from one another. Both insurance band A.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Okay so I'll probably leave my mum on then.

That said my postal address is band E (SW London) but my overnight address is band C (uni) so all I really did was change my postal address seeing as my risk is calculated from the overnight address.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

How cheap have you managed to get it overall now?

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£604 with elephant. Admiral won't quote me but I read on student forums that they always match elephants prices so I'll call them up and get them to match it. On top of that I will have got 250 miles done on the appydriver - currently silver which is 10-15 percent discount so it'll go down to £540 or less. Either way I'm happy with £604 seeing as its a £140 decrease.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aye all Admiral group insurance companies will match one another. That's not a bad price at all to be honest, especially with that discount. I might have to turn that app on myself time to time whenever I'm in a sensible mood :Smile:

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Admiral give slightly better insurance terms in regard to ICE so people use them usually if they price match or Diamond if you're a girl due to the handbag cover.

I haven't used the app in the past week because you genuinely cannot get a perfect ride unless its primarily on the motorway so good luck and kudos if you get gold.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wasn't aware of that, good info.

We'll see if I ever get round to it, I probably drive the "worst" on the motorway :Whistle:

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It doesn't count 75mph if that helps :lol:

BTW did you get any quotes from the sponsors?

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm saying nothing :Tongue: I didn't mate, but that's because I'm aware they're not great for young drivers in most circumstances. I could have erred though, I should really check it out.

18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's been less than 24 hours and a requote with identical details returned £5 less, £599 now :Smile:

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Whey. Now put your old man on the insurance policy too :Laughing:

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Already have mate, though you've reminded me that I have to put business use down which increased the premium by £16 - he still uses it whenever I'm home to pick up extra heavy loads which would "hurt" his much newer, fitter Merc :Pinch: