Off-Topic type of imobiliser

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by candobill, Monday 2nd Dec, 2013.

1. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Has anyone ever been asked by insurance company what kind of imobilliser/ alarm is fitted, I won't be insured against theft until I tell them and I have not got a clue :Search:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Never been asked on the phone but have come across it on online forms and my answer always was factory fitted.
    No idea whether your car has either.I would thought so but better check in your manual does it have either fitted or not.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I always say just factory fitted as well.

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't have original handbook, 1993 Prelude it was an import in 1998 and the insurance company have 3 or 4 possibilities it could be. So how do I find out is my problem, I don't know if the thing will be on any of the usual info stickers in the car or local Honda dealer would have info I will go see them tomorrow and find out :Search:

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gonna be trickery this one this mate. Due to the age and the fact it's a import.

6. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes that's my thoughts too but I can only hope it don't get nicked before I sort it out :Unknown:

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry dude but i have no idea really.Might be worth trip to Honda dealer, give them your chassis number and maybe they can check for you.

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes that's my plans for tomorrow at least then I may get some kind of clue what would be fitted but I have to have a written i.d of imobiliser to prove what it is from dealership :Unknown: I got a feeling its gonna cost me again :Angry:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which car are we talking here about is this for your JDM Prelude? Then yes they will question it as they don't come with factory fitted immobiliser\alarm you have to get them fitted.

An enthusiast will fit a Clifford alarm but they are expensive. look at your fobs do they give you a clue?

10. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes its the JDM Prelude it is a key lock which activates a red light on the dashboard that's the only thing that tells me it is alarmed or immobilised. it may have been fitted after import as you say, if insurance require it then I have to guess it has one but can't be identified. I called my local Honda dealership ( parks group ) today they said they would call back with an answer shortly (2.30 p.m ) still waiting for a reply and still not covered for theft:Angry: Is there a usual place to locate the alarm when its been fitted at a later date and will I be able to check CJ ? :Search:

Last edited: Tuesday 3rd Dec, 2013
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate you will need to get a torch up the passenger and drive footwell to look for the control box behind the dash .. The Honda dealer won't know nor can they look it up as the immobiliser on your JDM were not standard nor a dealer fit .It is a aftermarket one like all other JDM cars.

The red flashing light can be just a flashing light .. just messing

12. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks sir I had a quick look today ( dodging the slates coming off my roof ) and found a few different control units but none with any clue as to being an alarm, it gone on the back burner now as I will be up on the roof for a few days :Blink: