Suspension, Steering and Brakes Type-S Brakes Upgrade - Go hard or go OEM?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Wednesday 9th Sep, 2015.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Front pads need replacing soon so may as well do discs depending on their condition. I gathered that in Type-S the calipers are dual-piston, and the discs are a larger diameter.

I tend to do drives when I brake late and hard.

Is there any point in getting drilled discs, or should I just stick to standard internally ventilated? Are there any recommendations for uprated drilled or non-drilled discs?

I've found drilled MTEC, but read that drilled will always break at some point. Also looking at Brembo non-drilled pads but the diameter is 296mm, rather than 320. What's the actual diamater I need?

I feel that if there's too many variables I will just get OEM, but I'd like to see if there are any better options out there to suit my driving style.

When it comes to pads, are EBC upgraded (Green stuff IIRC) the ones to get?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They are indeed larger brakes on the Type-S, I believe from memory they're the same as the 2.4/CU2 brakes.

I would not bother with drilled or slotted discs, you don't ordinarily need the extra ventilation so all you're doing is taking away friction surface which means you'll actually brake worse - you also eat pads faster. Unless you see bluing on the surface of your current discs, the stock heat dissipation is more than adequate for you.

Long as they're the same as CU2, you'll need 320mm discs and there's not many options at all from what I know, I would go with OEM discs myself.

As for pads, steer clear of EBC, they're not great at all. I've never looked deeply into what's available for your fit but performance pads wise I'd generally go for Ferodo DS2500, StopTech Street Performance, Carbone Lorraine RC5+ or Hawk HPS - all are street performance pads suitable for track use. I wouldn't go with any more aggressive pads than that on a daily (like DS3000, RC6, HP+ etc.) as you'll just squeak, eat discs fast and put dust everywhere - even if you do stop really fast :Laughing:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When i looked at your car at japfest your brake fluid was as dirty as your engine oil. If you flushed your brake system with fresh DOT 4 brake fluid( no need for racing fluid ) you will see a massive difference with your current so called shitty brakes.

No point in aftermarket gear UNLESS a) You are a hooligan on the roads b) you track your car.

People who go for upgraded brake discs and pads are the slowest drivers in the world!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Purely for advice CJ !

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have same brakes as you and when i changed them couple months ago i went for OEM.
    I did look into Ferodo DS2500 but they are not available for our set up.

I agree on brake fluid,flush it and with new discs and pads your brakes will improve a lot.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    On the flip side (not disagreeing though), if you are late braking and heavy this will cause more heat build up. In turn this will glaze your pads which will loose brake efficiency. This is where ventilated or grooved discs come into place as they dissipate the heat better (steel discs work better cold) and also clean the glaze form the pad which will give you better braking than standard.
    The down side, you eat pads as mentioned as they are having a layer worn away by the holes or grooves to clean the pad.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    I think I will be reverting to OEM S2000 discs next time round as advised by @DeviateDefiant as in 8 months I have killed a set of Dixcel and now Stoptech discs or is it that my Ferodo DS2500's are too aggressive? I do drive fast so use the brakes a fair bit but to kill £400's worth of discs in less that a year is insane. Any opinions welcomed.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guy did you track this car a lot for this excessive wear mate? I wonder where Leo got that S2000 tip from :Whistle:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  10. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I did track it a couple times at Castle Coombe and with new additions such as ECU, induction and manifold etc every time I did give it a good old blast a each time like when got my flashed ECU I was switching between the two and timing so brakes got very hot. Thinking about it I have been through three sets of discs in two years of owning it and the ones that lasted longest were the M-tech drilled and grooved ones but wasn't using the Ferodo pads then plus had less power so not sure what is actually causing the the short life of discs?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You just need to manage heat in your brakes I use the gearbox and use engine braking by backing off the throttle to compensate.if you cane your brakes then no matter what you have on it they will go early. So I gather you had really good performance from the brakes so you had fun but the trade off is life and the other way with OEM.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  12. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Do you think the OEM would be more long lasting as solid or think worth trying drilled again for more heat suppression? I do let off n drop down to slow down also lol don't just slam the brakes on but I do have a lead foot :Tongue: