Aftermarket Kit Type-S remapping experiences?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by brock, Saturday 22nd Dec, 2012.

1. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Has anyone any experiences or comments on remapping a Type-S?
    I see both Celtic and Elite have remaps for the 180bhp 2.2 Diesel.
    I can find Honda Civic experiences on the web but non for the above.
    Id be interested in what you guys think?
    :Smile:

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I wouldn't bother. If you want a faster car, buy a faster car. It's just not worth the bother.
    That said AOC is affiliated with Celtic and not Elite, so that should give you some idea.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Option 1: a reputable remapping company that offers a warranty with its work.

Or option 2: a file uploader posing as an engine tuner which offers no warranty. And your car will end up coughing out more soot than a 7 year old cockney chimney sweep.

Either way you'd best budget for a new clutch and possibly new DMF as the standard one will quickly begin to slip due to the increased torque.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry just realised you want to remap a type-S. My comments on clutch and soot were in regard to 2.2 diesel remaps.

4. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Isn't the Type-S a 2.2 diesel with a bigger turbo and other small changes?

5. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    yes thats it. Up to 178bhp. But the remapping boost sounds tempting. Im interested in what others say about though it before I commit.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's your decision

There are pros and cons

The pros you can get from any remapper's website

The cons apart from the cost of the map and additional insurance include these

(dead link removed by staff)

Please do keep everyone posted on what you decide, and if you go for the map, how you get on :Thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  7. brock Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hants
    Many thanks all. SayamaAccord cheers for that link I hadnt seen that. After reading that Im not so sure Ill get it. It certainly makes you aware of all the down sides.
    Id only read the pros on the remappers web site. Rose tinted specs and all that :Smile:
    Doc, my Type-S has a 2.2 Diesel.
    Anyone out there actualy had a remap?

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    It's not a bigger turbo. Turbinewheel is made of other material compared to 150 BHP to widthstand the higher temperatures that come with increased turbo pressure.

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Apologies, I automatically assumed the type-s was a petrol engine, I forgot the 8th Generation type-s is run off a 2.2 I-DTEC, and the 2.2 diesel you were referring to was the 7th Generation I-CTDI.

The clutches in the I_dtec are stronger than the I-CTDI so clutch slip won't be as much of an issue.

10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    my 7th Generation is remapped and I'm very happy with that and I'd never go back to stock map, just too much pleasure from huge torque, I replaced clutch after it starts to slip and from over a year no problem :Wink:

11. TypeS-Turton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did you ever get it mapped brocket?