Tyres & Wheels Type-S tyre size

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jaytip, Saturday 16th Feb, 2013.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can somebody on here please advise me what size tyres my Type-S should be wearing please.I have just had a look on Mytyres for some prices and when entering the reg number of the car it states the tyre size as being 225/45/18, but my car is wearing 235/45/18.
    Which is the correct size?

Regards,

Ivor.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Pretty sure it is 235/45/18:

It should document this in your hand book. I never trust third party sites as their info is more often than not, utterly useless and outdated.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Should indeed be these as OEM : 235/45R18 98W
    But can you anyhow have a look in your manual? Above size is 100% sure for 2.4i-VTEC.

4. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not at home at the moment guys, hence the post, but I will check when I get in.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will have to disagree with you on this one
    I have 2.4i-VTEC and my tyres are 225/45/18 95Y

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just looked in the manual and it does say that the optional 18" wheels should be 235/45/18. :Thumbup:

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Do you have the standard wheels or accessory wheels? Your size is an accessory wheel size only (at least for MY12 onwards), not an OEM. Accessory : 225/45R18 95Y.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Deltas on mine

9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is there a sticker on the B pillar that tells you tyre pressures. It usually has the different size tyres on there.

10. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So could I get away with 225/45/18? It would save me a fortune on tyres if I could.

11. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    I found when buying tyres the 235/45/18 were actually better priced and more readily available. The Accord can wear either or size so no one is right or wrong here, its purely down to dealer/user preference when buying the tyres.

I personally would go with the 235 width as a bit more grip and a slightly higher side wall which fills the empty Accord wheel arch better.

12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

On mytyres website the 225's start about £30 cheaper.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Always better to stick with OEM rather than drop to 225 just to save money. Safety, not cost should be the only concern.

On many car forums, I always get surprised when folk wish to buy cheaper tyres of a slightly smaller size - given that the tyres are the only connection between the car and the road, why people look to skimp on tyres baffles me to no end.

People happily spend hundreds remapping, bodykitting, adding flashing Santa Claus decorations and glueing ironing boards to the backs of their boots for spoilers - but the minute they have to spend money on tyres, the scissors for price cutting suddenly come racing out. Never understood that logic to be honest. In fact its pretty dumb - sticking to OEM recommended tyre widths/sizes with good quality rubber makes all the difference for braking, cornering, smoothness, fuel efficiency and so much more. But no, people happily cut corners on the one area that in my view deserves nothing but the best.

(Not a reflection on you jaytip - as I said, thats just my observation on a lot of different car forums :Thumbup:).

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    If you go for the 225, pay attention for the speed and load index. 2.0 gets away with lower specs. For diesel and 2.4, this is what you need:
    WVTA : 225/45R18 95V (CU2, CU3, CW2, CW3).
    Darknight, I do not fully agree with your point on mounting a smaller tyre. As long as the size has WVTA it's OK. The widest tyre is not always the best (price, aquaplaning, comfort, fuel consumption and noise are worser).

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Er, you must have misread what I wrote because I did not recommend/suggest mounting a smaller tyre - very much the opposite in fact.

The only point I made was that sticking to OEM recommended tyre sizes is preferable - they are there for a reason.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Darknight,
    I indeed understood you would stick to 235 and not mount the 225. But, as 225 has WVTA I do not see the point why not going down one size. That's where I don't fully agree with you.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The handbook states 235's for 18" alloys - just as it states 225's for 17" - I see no (personal) reason to deviate from those. Manufacturers state what they do with good reason. But, to each his own.

18. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

TDK I hear what you are saying regarding tyres, and on a car that NEEDS grip, feel, braking etc then I agree with you. I don't scrimp on tyres just for the sake of it, indeed on the NSX's a set of tyres would set me back a grand.
    However, the Accord is a family car and would never be pushed to ANY tyres limits because 95% of the time my wife and children would be in the car with me and at regular -read legal- speeds the stopping distances between the best an worst are not that great.
    As for OEM tyres being the best for all the attributes you mention, you are wrong. OEM tyres will always be a compromise in some department.
    For example my Greenline Octavia has Michelin energy savers on it-crap for handling but very low rolling resistance,so better fuel economy. Likewise a tyre that is very grippy is going to give worse fuel economy.
    I believe what you pay for a tyre is dependent on what you want out of a tyre.

Regards,

Ivor.

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to clarify, I didnt endorse the OEM tyres at all.

Only the tyre sizes.

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In danger of sounding stupid but here goes.
    Not disputing what either of you says,you probably knows more then me anyway.
    If manual states 235 for 18 inch tyres why did Honda fitted 225 on my car and put sticker inside 225/45/18 95Y?