General Tyre Choice - advice needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Saturday 9th Jul, 2016.

?

Which tyre brand for my MINI?

Poll closed Tuesday 12th Jul, 2016.
  1. Hankook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yokohama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dunlop

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Goodyear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I need some (non-Honda) advice from you all today/tomorrow. I know there are lots of threads about tyres, but this one is quite specific.

My MINI needs four new tyres, as the originals are now 12 years old and need replacing on safety grounds if not on remaining tread. I have the MOT on Thursday so will get this done before.

I have a limited choice as I want to retain run flats, and the size/load rating is specific to the optional wheels I had when the car was new. MINI have advised I stick with the exact specification, although they say I could go to an 88 load rating if necessary.

I also want rim protection, I don't want to spend a fortune as the car only does c1000 miles a year, but I do want a known brand.

Size is 205/45 R17 84V. I'm going to be using Blackcircles.

The brand options are Hankook Ventus S1 Evo @£97 per tyre, Yokohama Advan Sport V103s @£108 per tyre (though no rim protection), Dunlop SP Sport 01 @ £106 per tyre and Goodyear Eagle RS-A @£114 per tyre.

If it was you, based on brand (the online reviews all seem fine), which would you go for?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I recently bought a set of alloys to replace my steelies. They came with practically brand new Hankook Ventus Prime 2 as the guy wrote off his Jazz while it was on winter set. And I must say I am impressed by their grip and noise levels. By the looks of it they look like they are a bit softer than the Falkens I had before.

I know the hankook you listed isn't the same but just telling my experience so it doesn't get discounted for being less known of the 4 choices you have.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Interestingly, MINI now fit Hankook as standard - that's why it has made my list.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I had to make a call today in order to get fitting on Weds prior to the MOT on Thursday...so having read lots of online reviews I went for the Dunlop SP Sport 01 in the end.

Other MINI owners seem to rate them, so hopefully a good decision! They have to be a better bet than the 12 year old Pirellis that are on there at the moment. :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry @FirstHonda but I've only just caught up with this thread.
    If I had seen it earlier I'd have said that I had Hankook on my CN1 and they were great.

I'm sure the Dunlop SP Sport 01 will be great too.

Good luck for Thursday, but I'm sure your Mini will sail through.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Out of the list I would go with Hankook. Also have a look at Falkens, they make great tyres.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I went for the Dunlops in the end @exec but thanks anyway.

I had to buy and book for Weds this week, so a decision was made based on gut feel and reviews elsewhere. The Hankooks are well reviewed, but in the end I just decided to go with Dunlop as they were hardly any more expensive.

I'll find out whether that was a good decision over the next 8-10 years, which is how long the tyres will last with my low mileage!

exec likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Having had the Dunlops fitted today and done about 20 miles, I can't believe how much run flat technology has moved on in 12 years.

The ride is so much softer, the turn in sharper and road noise reduced.

I don't think the previous Pirellis were bad - for their time - I just think the market has moved on. It just goes to show...

Nighthawk, exec and Nels like this.