Tyres & Wheels Tyre Choice Dilemma

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FirstHonda, Monday 17th Mar, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The time has finally come to replace my standard 17" wheels, with Vredestein "Wintrac Xtreme" tyres on (review in the review section), with Summer tyres on the "Sigma" 18" alloys that I bought from HH nearly a year ago...

My dilemma is this - the required size (225/45ZR 18 95Y) seems quite limiting in terms of what is available. I don't want to spend a fortune and have 4 options from the online source that I plan to use (Oponeo, who were great with the last set so will use again).

I would welcome opinions on:

Nexen N8000 - available at £80 each. Well reviewed online, but I've never really heard of them. Worth a punt?
    Hankook Ventus S-1 Ezo2 K-117 at £119 each. Again, have seen some good reviews, these feel like the preferred option at the moment, as at least I've heard of them.
    Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta at £128 each. A good review on here already...
    Yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 at £151 each. Don't really want to spend that much, but am willing to be convinced that it is worth it!

Bridgestone, Continental, Michelin all even more expensive than the Yokos (!!), so will give them a miss.

And one final question...the instructions with the wheels are clear that I must use 225/45ZR 18 95Y tyres. But I'm a bit confused - what does the "ZR" refer to and what does the "Y" refer to, as I thought they both referred to speed rating? There aren't many tyres that have that EXACT description - but there are plenty that omit the "ZR" part (well, have "R" instead).

Thanks in advance! I know tyres always spark some debate, and I'd really welcome opinions...should add that 80% of my driving is motorway.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 are AMAZING tyres just outstanding in the wet and last time I checked we are still a wet country all through out the year.

I have them on 7th Generation and they really give you a lot of confidence to push the car , if you like to drive your car in a spirited manner they worth every single penny in my view fella,.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I was afraid you were going to say that...:Yoda:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    In my humblest of opinions, you've cut out the three best brands :lol:

ZR is a type of speed rating for over 150mph:
    Out of the tyres you've listed, I'd definitely go for the Yokohamas :Smile:

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ohh and almost forgot to say I wrote the review on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta and while they do grip quite good they have become very noisy now after 18000 miles its almost unbearable and it will drive you insane.
    I thought and was almost 100% sure wheel bearing was shot but had that checked by few people and it turn out to by droning noise from the tyres.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Dude you prolly already know this but check for radial wear. I had this issue due to mis-alignment on the budget tyres I got with the vehicle.

AccordCU2 and FirstHonda like this.
  10. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    By the way @FirstHonda I use a French company with a UK website for my tyres. They're selling these Yoko's for under £130 but if I may suggest, Good Year Efficient Grip Performance has had pretty good reviews and the EU ratings are B/A/A plus costs under £124. I'm not sure I can post the website here but if you IM me, I'll let you know.

I might be wrong here but also bear in mind that Good Year / Michelin / Conti are premium brands while Yokohamas is a mid-range quality brand.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just another shout-out for MyTyres that @cred mentioned, fantastic prices.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    That's it dude.. only downside is can take 3-4 days before it gets to you but I guess the savings £££ make it worthwhile :Happy:

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Glad you told me that, scrub those from the list! One down...:Smile:

^^Thanks for the recommendation, will have a look later. Feels like the Yokohamas have it, but as I'm away now until Friday I'll think about it as I pound up & down the M1!!
    Will also look at those Goodyear online too.

Thanks all, help and opinions much appreciated! :Thumbup:

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Let us know which one you go for and if you find a good deal anywhere.
    Money is a bit tight but will need full set also at some point during the summer.
    Thanks

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Will do Zoran.

It will be between the Yokos and perhaps a budget brand. May be interesting to give something different a try (Falken / Nexen / GT etc) and review progress and views on here...as you are right money is a bit tight :Aghast:...but on the other hand don't really want to take a risk with something so important.

Thinking cap on, I'll let you all know what happens at the end of this week...:Wave:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just had quick look on Oponeo and found
    Yokohama advan sport V103 priced £151and
    Yokohama advan sport V105 priced £139
    They are both 225/45/18 95Y but what's the difference between them.At work and can't investigate further but does anyone know ?

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok, this is a nightmare - I need to stop now! :SOS:

So, have looked at Oponeo, Mytyres, Blackcircles and Camskill as well as the usual suspects (Kwik Fit, ATS etc).

First comment, how on earth do Kwik Fit, ATS and even Blackcircles justify their prices?! Just amazed at how much more they charge, and for what? My local Honda dealer only charges me £10 per wheel to fit the tyres that I buy, so quids in with any of the online guys and more choice. I guess loads of people just go there because they don't realise what else is available and for how much...

What I now need to decide is between:

- Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 (with rim protection) @ only £98.60 on Mytyres. Well reviewed, and worth consideration.
    - Falken FK453 (with rim protection) @ £114.30 on Mytyres. At least these are Japanese rather than Korean, if that makes any difference to where they are actually made!
    - Hankook Ventus S-1 Evo2 K-117 @ £119 on Oponeo. Think if going for these may as well go with the Kumho TBH.
    - Yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 @ £151 on Oponeo. By the way Zoran, I think the difference between the two is one is listed as "R" and one "ZR" (as well as "Y"). Only difference I can see.
    - Michelin Pilot Super Sport (with rim protection) @ £158.70 on Mytyres. Given comments on Michelin I will now consider these as so close in price to the Yokos.

On balance, I reckon I'll either go with the Kumho ( at less that £400 for the set) at one end, or the Yokos or Michelin at the other (at c£600 per set quite a bit more...)

How I hate this type of decision :Violin: Perhaps I should just pull something out of a hat?! :Whiteflag:

It's going to go one way, then another, across the week - but I will have to decide and order by Friday! Thanks all...Ed

cred, SpeedyGee and AccordCU2 like this.
  18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a no brainer if it were my decision :Smile:

cred and AccordCU2 like this.
  19. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just came across this place and prices are really good and cheaper then any other I looked at.
    Tyreleader.co.uk.
    Worth checking out.

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got answer for my question.Emailed Yokohama and this is the reply.Bit of salesman spiel but hope it helps.

Good morning Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry and positive feedback of our brand.

The V105 takes off from where the V103 left off. The V105 boasts improved grip in both wet and dry conditions, whilst not compromising on comfort and tyre life. Many of the V105 sizes have our Blu-Earth accreditation which means they are more environmentally friendly and economical to run.

I have been lucky enough to test these two tyres side by side, I would suggest the single most noticeable difference between the two tyres is the V105's improved wet grip.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
    Bill Rider
    Sales Executive

Yokohama H.P.T. LTD.
    Dawson Road
    Mount Farm
    Bletchley
    Milton Keynes
    Bucks
    1st Generation 1QY