Tyres & Wheels Tyre choice

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Headers, Sunday 28th Jul, 2013.

1. Headers New Member Getting Started

I cannot make up my mind on which tyres to put on my tourer. Winter, summer all season... There's so much choice these days and with the new efficiency ratings displayed, even more things to fret about. So do I just stick with what I started with, or is there something better Michelin HP primacy were originally fitted. I've got two continental on the front now and the two original Michelin on the rear which have done 86000 kilometres. Anybody got a view out there?

2. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just fitted 4 Goodyear efficient grip, looked at reviews on the Internet , noticed how quite compared to the Pirelli p7 fitted. £73 fitted check out asda/ tesco tyres

3. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got Goodyear Efficient Grip on the front and very pleased with both grip and low noise level. Hopefully they'll wear well.

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They do efficient grip and efficient grip performance. The performance version is the better tyre according to the reviews.

5. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just checked mine, their the performance version didn't know their was 2 types

6. vibrex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've always stuck with Michelins after getting rid of the original Yokohamas. Did have some issues in Winter with Primacy 2, back end drifted out on a roundabout in -7 Deg C. Now on Primacy 3. Pilot Sport 3 wore out far too quickly so not using those again.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I don't bother with winter tyres as to be honest it doesn't really snow in Glasgow all that much and when it's below around the 7 degree 1st Generation just slow down and take it easy. What I didn't know until recently is that with some insurers you have to tell them if you are fitting winter tyres, even if it doesn't effect your premium. Apparently in 2010/11 there were reports of insurers actually increasing premiums or even refusing cover for people fitting winter tyres - crazy!

I've got Rainsport 2 on the back and the grip seems pretty good, although the front have average tyres fitted so I don't think I ever get to the stage where the rainsports are tested properly. I think when I replace them I'll focus on quiet tyres as road noise is quite bad. I've been toying with the notion of fitting some dampening into the wheel arches.

I've heard certain tyres can be quite bad for tramlining. The guy at my local Honda dealership recommended a tyre which apparently didn't suffer from this but I can't remember. To be honest, after getting my alignment adjusted to the tighter tolerance that Honda have specified I've not really suffered from tramlining.

8. vibrex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Totally agree on taking it easy when it's cold. I wasn't going quickly at the time but I'm pretty sure it was to do with the temperature. Fortunately it was 1am and nothing else on the road, on a large roundabout, as the rear slowly drifted away from me. It was a few years ago and I think Primacy 2 at the time. I have since binned those tyres and now have Primacy 3, no problems since. Certainly not worth the expense of fitting winter tyres for me as I now only do 5-8K miles/year.
    Yes I heard that too about insurers and winter tyres. Very strange!
    Regarding tramlining, yes it can be a problem with 17" rims, Yokohamas bad but Michelins are pretty good.
    I agree on alignment too, my recent handling problem checked and while within limits was brought back to normal with noticeable improvement.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get no tramlining on Yokohama at on all my 7th Generation Accords, it all about the set up the car and four wheel alignment and wheel balancing.

The 7th Generation is very very fussy about its set up even a small variation of 5gms underweight will make the steering judder and vibrate. Once the set up is right the handling is subliming in all conditions and a dream at high speed cruising and twisty roads.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Very happy with the original Yokohama tyres on my 8th Generation, they have c5k miles left in them (so will have done 25k in total by the time they are done).

I am going to fit Winter tyres this year as I now have two sets of wheels. Have decided to go with Vredestein Xtreme Wintrac which are available in the right size (225/50 R17 98V), not too expensive (c£100 - £120 per tyre), and well reviewed.

After the Winter is over, I'll post to let others know how I got on with them...assuming it IS a cold and snowy Winter this year, obviously. Inevitably my decision to fit Winter tyres will ensure the mildest Winter for many years...so you all know who to thank when it happens...!!!

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It's that time of year... so I have ordered the Vredestein Xtreme Wintrac tyres today @ £112 each. Will let you know how I get on with them - the reviews are good, so let's hope they are accurate!

Will get them fitted by the local Honda dealer, they aren't going to charge me very much (£40). They offered to supply Nokian winter tyres, but were more expensive @ £128 per tyre, which is why I have chosen to go online with a company called Oponeo. Fingers crossed...

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looked at them myself, hope they turn out to be good value for money.
    Need to find cheap ish set off alloys and might order them.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've changed my mind and decided to try some winner tyres, went with Yokohama w drive which arrive tomorrow. £155 per tyre but most of the others were £250+

Hoping they are good tyres.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Well, the first part has worked out very well - tyres delivered today, as ordered. Had never heard of Oponeo before, but based on their prices and prompt delivery, can only be impressed. :Thumbup: Interested to see that on their website they are now £120 per tyre though, rather than the £112 I paid. Unusual for me to be lucky!

Booked to have them fitted by Aylesbury Honda on Friday, along with the sports pedals that I got from HH in May...:Blushing:

Will post some impressions in the review section after I have run them for a few weeks...and then at the end of the Winter.

Last edited: Monday 18th Nov, 2013
  15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Have you checked the date code - they may be discounted old stock.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Ok, so that worried me!!

I have now checked where the date code is, and what it means...and have found it on the tyres. Code is 3413, which means manufactured August this year.

Phew...:Smile:

17. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Nice one :Thumbup: