Tyres & Wheels Tyre choices for 2007 CR-V CTDI 17"

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Graphnic, Thursday 4th Sep, 2014.

?

Vote 'em up!

1. Continental Cross Contact LX

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Michelin Latitude Tour

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Hi Guys,

Looking at options for new boots on my new CR-V (2007 ES on 17" rims). We live in the midlands with occasional jaunts to Aberdeen, so snow etc isn't the biggest concern. Fuel economy and longevity are of more concern, provided of course performance and handling are reasonable.

The car came with Continental Cross Contact LX on the front and 4x4 Contact on the back. Three are down to about 3mm and the fourth is ok, on about 5.5mm (one of the 4x4 Contacts, which seem to get poor reviews online).

Thinking it might be a better long-term idea to cut my losses and get all four matching, which I understand is more important because of the fluid diff?

Considering the following, does any have any wisdom (or better options)?:

Continental Cross Contact LX @ £126
    Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S @ £135 (+ a bucket of extra Tesco clubcard points!)
    Michelin Latitude Tour @ £122
    Hankook Dynapro HP2 RA33 @ £112
    Falken Ziex ZE-914 Ecorun @ £111

Thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks for that, I did actually find that earlier, but didn't want to hijack another thread! Wondered if anyone had an longer-term experience with using some of the other options available.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No worries, hopefully some CR-V owners will posts their experience with tyres.

@TheDarkKnight any thoughts ?

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

When I purchased my CR-V I presume she was on the original tyres and had the dunlops on. These gave up around the 19k 1st Generation bought the car with just under 18k. Now I have the EX model and she is on the 18" rim and I decided to go for the Michelin latitudes this time round. They actually were the best price for me and I got a Michelin tyre compressor free with my purchases.

My advice to you also is ensure you get a full wheel alignment and geometry set up once new boots have been fitted if you want to get the best life outta them. This will add a few extra quid to your bill but worth it!

6. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks @nsxer, how have the Michelin's worn, are you happy with them?

Just found a screw in one of my tyres this afternoon. Looks like this discussion is quite timely :-(

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi graphic, this was my tyre of choice after the original set was removed. Only a couple of k on them at the mo but so far so good; no complaints thus far and have no issues with grip or any negatives on handling. They say Michelin wear better than others but we will see.

Out of your short list I would decide on either the Michelin or Conti's and that's purely driven by marque. This is my 1st experience of SUV so have no preference or ideas on tyres for them yet.

Out of that list I'm sure you won't go too far wrong

8. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks @nsxer - my first SUV too! Was in the market for an estate but got side tracked by the CR-V!

Wondering whether to mix 3 new Conti LX's with the existing good (5mm+) Conti 4x4. Seems a bit of a crime to chuck a decent tire at that price. I have read a couple of views that mixing like that add excessive ware to the fluid diff. Guess if you have a puncture though, it's going to happen anyway.

9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Put the mix up front then, diff fluid only in the rear and rarely engages if your doing normal road stuff ... Tbh would not get too hung up about this. If you have 4 Conti's and one is a different model in range just run with it.

This is what I would do personally. My 4 tyres were pretty much done hence the 4 being changed.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@Graphnic ... if your Conti 4x4 has no puncture repairs and has even wear across the tyre you could probably fetch good money selling it as second hand tyre on ebay.

11. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Good thought @SpeedyGee - it's fairly even but not 100%. Otherwise I might just keep it in the shed in case I get an unrepairable puncture mid way through the new set.

12. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks everyone for you thoughts. Went for 4 Conti Cross Contact LX's in the end as my favoured local supplier could do them for £117.50 fitted.

Road noise is much lower now, which is a bonus!

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's a decent price for sure; nice one! :Smile:

Did you get a geo check up yet?

A must if you want to ensure good even wear across your tyres

14. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    No, unfortunately the person who does that wasn't in today (I forgot to ask on the phone). They said judging by the wear it looks fine but that is rather unscientific! I know there was about 1mm less on the outer edges according to my digital gauge. I think I'll take it back, or elsewhere to check for sure though.

Nels likes this.
  15. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Anyone had any experience of 4 wheel alignment systems? I hear good thing about Hunter but I'd have to drive 20 miles for that. It's probably more down to the operator than the machine is guess!

My local tyre place has a 'John Bean Visualigner' and doesn't charge for checks, then £30 per axle.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not heard of the John Bean Visualigner before but looking at the info page on it Visualiner 3D2 Wheel Aligner: John Bean Automotive Wheel Service Equipment looks advanced enough.

The main thing is that it knows about manufacturer specs and has the ability to measure everything accurately. Seems to tick all the boxes as far as I can see.

So I'd say go forth and have your alignment checked on the Mr Bean machine :Smile:

If you can feedback you're experience and also attach the measurement sheet that they give you, that would be great.

17. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Thanks @SpeedyGee, I'll do that with pleasure.

There's another centre nearby which has a SuperTracker which also provides a printout. All I know is that old analogue Supertrackers seem to be in every backstreet tyre shop.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've had experience with this piece of equipment when I was first trying to sort out my '03 Accords tracking issues, I had the car "aligned", it drove worse than before completely pulling to one side, took it to Kwik-Fit for Hunter Alignment and immediately you could see on the screen everything was completely buggered :Laughing:

Safe to say, I stick to Hunter machines now - though this is just one person's experience, I'd blame the tech if I could but his screen showed everything was in-spec.

19. Graphnic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Warwickshire
    Interesting. Think I might give the Mr Bean Machine a miss!

All my local Hunter people charge per adjustment so it can add up, but haven't read a bad word against it so probably worth it in the long run.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

He probably had the wrong car specs loaded up.