Tyres & Wheels Tyre dilemma

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Wednesday 9th Mar, 2016.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    So, the new Accord need a new pair of boots on the back. At present it has some very worn Michelin Primacy, on the front a previous owner has fitted a pair of Michelin Energy Saver+, there's still plenty of wear in the front tyres. Tyres are 205/55/16. I'm not a huge fan of Michelin, much prefer Goodyear so the question is do I match the back to the front or save a few quid and get a pair of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance which get better reviews. I like a matching set but I also much prefer Goodyear to Michelin!

2. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    break your matching obsession and save yourself some money!

Whenever I've had a matching 4 it never lasted long anyway as that's when I hit the puncture lottery. Matching just the front and rear axles in pairs I seem to have better luck with.

Zebster likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Personally, I would replace all 4 for Goodyears. The efficient grips are very good tyres too. I appreciate its the most expensive option but they are your tyres, the only things holding you on the road, and you would then know the history of them. I always change tyres when I buy a new car regardless of their level of tread as you never know if their sidewall integrity has been affected by mounting kerbs etc.

The michellin energy tyres are quite hard wearing so you would have to wait for a while for them to wear down.

Mixing brands on front and rear is not as serious as mixing on the same axle.

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure I can stretch to four at the minute but favouring the Goodyears and change the fronts in a couple of months.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

Is your accord a diesel? If it is, I have found that it likes the XL tyres

6. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to throw another option in to the mix.

I'm currently on my 5th or 6th set of Yokohama Decibel E70D tyres the Accord seems to love them and they're great tyres

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Never driven on yokohamas before. Must try them one day

8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

It's a petrol, 2.4. Those Yokohama tyres aren't available in the size I need.

Pretty sure I'll go with a pair of Goodyear.

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah ok you must have the wheel upgrade?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just realised this is 7th Generation section.

I had problems getting Yokohamas for my CL7
    - - - Updated - - -
    Goodyear Eagle F1 are good by all accounts I've heard so Efficient Grip probably a good tyre too but I've heard nothing about them so far.

10. Nighthawk Guest

The efficient grips are great tyres. Not as good as the f1s but very good anyway. The F1s only come from 17" and upwards. I have 4 effecient grips on the wifes ep2 and they hold the road very well.

I would recommend either tyre

John Dickson likes this.
  11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I have 16", my last one had 17" and I had Eagle F1s on that. The 17 look better but the ride is so much better on the 16" that I've no desire to change!

John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good point @StuH my CL7 on 17" Pentas did have a tendency to tramline

16" wheel does give a more sublime ride quality.