Tools Tyre Drill

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Aty01, Tuesday 21st Oct, 2014.

1. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

im looking for something similar to what the garages have, in regards to taking off tyre bolts/nuts.

would a 12v drill with the drill bit that fits the tyre bolts/nuts do ?/? or would i need to get something like an Air Impact Gun Wrench Kit.

i know i could use the tool bar that comes with the car, but me being a lazy so and so, i can't be bothered..

Any help guys ?/?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe the item above is what is required.

I personally hate it when garages use the air impact gun because it overtightens the nuts and I end up having to use a breaker bar to undo it. On top of that if you use wheel locking nuts then the key could shear when it is used due to the high torque from impact guns.

3. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is that all i would as i spoke to someone living close by that i would require a compressor unit to go with the gun

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The gun and socket is all you need - excellent reviews confirm this.

5. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just ordered the Gun and the Socket set,

Thanks guys

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

An interesting piece of kit @Aty01.
    Once you've got it, please post a review in the Tools & Equipment section. Would be interested in your findings.

Nighthawk and Aty01 like this.
  7. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do bud

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A drill will not work as it's the hammer action of these wrenches that make them so effective .

9. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@hedleyf

Is the above item suitable for the work that I need to carry out ?/?

10. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never used a battery one myself so can't say, work colleagues use a battery version and are full of praise for them,they seem to work very well, snap on is mainly the ones they go for but are not cheap, there again you don' t use it every day so I think it should be fine ,plus if you ordered sockets as well you can use it for multiple jobs.

Aty01 likes this.
  11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally it's not worth me getting one of these but reading this thread prompted me to ask a slightly different but related question. Is it acceptable to just hand tighten the wheel nuts by hand only using the wheel brace that comes with the car or is it essential to get a torque wrench and torque them up correctly? I have heard some vehicle makes saying you should get the nuts re-torqued after a few hundred miles for alloy wheels.

In the past I've always worked on the hand tightening method then tighten with the wheel brace (lifting it up towards you) until it just starts to feel as if you are about to lift the car off the ground and I've never been told it was a problem. This avoids the risk of over-torqueing the wheel nuts as you'd never manage it lifting the brace up towards you. (I always cringe when you see people bouncing up and down standing on the end of the brace at the side of the road to tighten the wheel nuts).

The reason I ask is it's time to rotate my tyres as fronts are getting down to 4.5mm but it's 3,000 miles till it's due a service (the dealer always does it free of charge with the service) and I've never had to rotate the wheels myself (when I've had alloys fitted) before as it's always worked out at the time a service is due.

This practice always seemed ok with steel wheels.

Gonna struggle to get 20,000 miles out of tyres on the I-DTEC.

12. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I believe in torquing certain nuts and bolts about the car but I don't do the wheel nuts, I use the feel method , most techs today use a torque wrench but in my opinion it's no better, some seem to think that when it' clicks that it feels not tight enough so give it a bit more?, some snatch the wrench so get a inaccurate reading, and some do not understand about stress ,thread pitches, and loads, bad training ,I personally think that's why a wrench is used so much nowadays as the mechanics lack confidence without them.
    The manufactures state the torque in the manual as a legal protection and info if you do actually want to torque them
    To torque them is really correct way, if you do weight the wrench at a right angle to the nut and apply pressure gradually and steady until that click and that's it.
    Also need to note from the manufacturer if the thread needs to be dry or lubricated as this makes a difference,
    Never use a copper based grease on the threads.
    Only last week a chap at work stripped a wheel stud using a torque wrench, he did not take into consideration that the treads were oiled, so beware.

John Dickson likes this.
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Dave - good info.

Yes I was taught the above method, which is similar to the feel method I suppose, by my dad. There probably isn't an issue with alloys it's probably more of a case the wider fitment of alloys has coincided with the nanny state petrified of legislation culture we now have. The manufacturers have to cover themselves as if it isn't over spelled out in the manual and something happened a lawyer would make a case out of it (similar to the "Caution Hot" on MacDonald's coffee for example. Coffee? Hot? Really? or like "Caution contains milk" on supermarket milk bottles).

Yes I suppose the modern day techs can sometimes be torque wrench obsessed. Worse, I recall there was a garage up this way that would use an air gun on every single thread! If you needed a new seatbelt fitting for example out came the air gun. They just about used it to fit number plates even!

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think most garages use this method as it saves them time and the customer (generally) doesn't get to know anyway.

15. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have always tightened my wheel nuts by hand, never used a power tool to do them and hate it, really hate it when garages use guns on my wheels. Whenever I get tyres changed, I specify to them that I do not want them done up with an air gun. Wheel nuts only need to be snugged up tight, the kinetic energy of the wheel spinning prevents them from undoing anyway unless you are travelling for 100s of miles in reverse. Learnt that one from a mechanic years ago. Never ever proved me wrong and I have never had a loose wheel nut. No need to kill yourself tightening up a wheel nut.

John Dickson likes this.
  16. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    That would be me :Smile: But I'll improve. Never gave it much thought.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    As I haven't got a torque wrench (yet) I always tighten about half a turn passed the point of resistance. I'll only ever jump on it to get them off a car :Laughing:

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is true if you think about it. Look at the holes in the wheel, they are sort of countersunk and there is a collar on each nut that beds into this when tightened up. This allows each wheel nut to get a better grip on the wheel and creates a force driving the wheel onto the hub. Then the fact that the wheel nut is tightened clockwise and the wheel spins anti clockwise its opposing rotating masses.

Yes I stand on the brace to loosen them off. Comes in handy being 18.5 stone when the garages have used the air gun to put them on! :lol:

DeviateDefiant likes this.