General Tyre purchase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zebster, Wednesday 28th Oct, 2015.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    In preparation for what is forecast to be a cold winter nationally (but is bound to be as nasty as usual here in the Shropshire hills) I've dragged out my winter wheels for checking. One pair (with Michelin Alpins) are fine, but the other pair (some mismatched budget things) are looking quite worn and are around 6 years old... so I need to buy a pair.

I'm very strongly leaning towards a pair of Toyo Snowprox S953, in a 205/55 R16 91H, which I can get online from Oponeo for £100 with free delivery (I prefer to have them fitted/balanced/valved at my local garage, as it's only a tenner each and the balancing is spot on, unlike so many other places). Those Toyos get some good reviews and are at the cheaper end of the market, but I'm open to suggestions if anybody can recommend a better winter tyre for the price.

Or can anyone recommend a cheaper mail order supplier (BlackCircles, MyTyres, Amazon, Demon Tweaks and Camskill are all more expensive)?

Or does anyone (preferably in the West Midlands) want to sell me a pair of winter tyres?

Thanks

Last edited: Wednesday 28th Oct, 2015
  2. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oponeo has been the cheapest for me and my family over the last few years for winter tyres. I did a fair bit of searching at the time I was ordering. I went with 205/55R16 Goodyear UltraGrips at the time.

Zebster likes this.
  3. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    I have generally found Asda Tyres to be quite competitive.

More often than not use them when replacing my van tyres.

They are currently listing about a dozen branded in that size (not the Toyo's though) and a few more budget options. Obviously you would need to check their list of fitters in your area.

Sorry, just realised that was £100 for the pair from Oponeo.....that does seem very reasonable...

Zebster likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Didn't know Asda sold tyres!

Yes, £100 for the pair is pretty good, but the fitting, etc, is on top of that. I haven't bought them yet.

5. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate

Only online as far as I know ....

Any wholesale sheds near you?

We have Costco in Avonmouth which is supposedly good for tyres...never used them myself though.

Zebster likes this.
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I've had one season out of my pirelli sotto zeros and they were great. . not long now before they will be going back on.

Zebster likes this.
  7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't advise which tyres to go for because i don't bother with winter tyres. If winter is going to be as harsh as they are saying i might get them.

I have been buying my tyres from this website twice now and IIRC delivery is free but it can take 4-5 days for them to arrive.
    Mine once came from Germany and second time from France but they have decent prices and they been ok so far.
    Tyre 205/55 R16 91H winter : discount price, free delivery - Tyre Leader

Zebster likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've used Oponeo in the past, and they were excellent both for price and service.

Also used Love Tyres who were good.

Prices seem to be very site dependant so worth looking at a few sites I'd say. I need new tyres for my MINI and Blackcircles are much cheaper than anybody else for what I need, whereas they were hopeless when I was looking for Winter tyres.

Zebster likes this.
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I looked at a lot of online tyre sellers. Actually, I wasn't just looking for winter tyres for the Accord, I also needed a pair of regular tyres for our MR2 (Toyo Proxes T1R XL 225/45 R16). BlackCircles WAS the cheapest for them, but my local garage undercut them by 50p per tyre! Unfortunately his supplier is not yet doing winter tyres, which is odd.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Nokian make some great winter tyres for not much money from what I have read, spend a bit more and get Uniroyal rainsports, those would be my choice if I need winter tyres.

Zebster and FirstHonda like this.
  11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    I've got one word for u - ebay!

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @pastore are you suggesting Ebay for second hand tyres or new ?

13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Zebster likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think only the 'Goodride' tyre is a true winter tyre in that selection and I've not heard of them before. I'd want something that has got good reviews from, say, Autocar trials (like the Toyo Snowprox). I know there are better, but price is also a big consideration!

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

that why i would on ebay first mate if price is a factor its atleast worth a look, good luck in finding them anyway

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you managed to get some yet @Zebster ?

Is so, which ones did you go for?

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Because it hasn't got cold enough for a long period I held off. However, I'm picking up a full set of Civic alloys later today that have 3 year old Falken Eurowinter HS439 tyres fitted.

I just hope those 5 stud 7th Generation Civic alloys fit my Accord properly, or I'll have to get the tyres swapped over onto some spare wheels I have. The ET is between 45-50, according to some 3rd party data I have, so should fit the Accord? These type...
    s-l1000.

I'll update on their performance when I've used them in harsh conditions. I'm about to start a contract with a very long commute!

Last edited: Saturday 28th Nov, 2015
    Nels likes this.