Tyres & Wheels Tyre ridges - Accord Tourer CDTi 2005

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Littlelondoner, Saturday 23rd Aug, 2014.

1. Littlelondoner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For the past three or four months I have been getting a noise which sounds like a wheel bearing going; i.e a continuous kind of whirring noise. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car.

So I took it to a local garage to check and they discovered that the rear tyres had become ridged around both edges. So where the lateral grooves (from outside to inside) are, the leading edge was worn down so you can feel ridges, right around the tyre. They are Michelins, only a couple of years old. He said that on some estate cars that the shock absorbers may cause the problem when they have stopped working properly. He suggested replacing them.

The mechanic said to first try moving the wheels from the back to the front to check that the sound was different and it is. Whehn I was at the tyre dealer getting them swapped around the guy there said that some estates when unloaded can "skip" along the road slightly thus causing the ridging over time.

So my question is, does anyone know of this happening before on Accord Tourers? Is the cause likely to be the rear shocks? I have had the car for 6 years and not had this problem before, so the shock absorber theory sounds the most plausible to me.

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Do you mean the 2 outer edges of the rear tyres or the 4 inner and outer edges of the rears?

3. Littlelondoner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 4 inner and outer edges of the rear tyres

4. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had rear tyres wear like that on mine, usually when the tyres are down to the last few mm and are getting old. My car rarely has anymore than 2 people in it.

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Not heard of estates doing this personally, usually wear on both outer edges of a tyre is down to under inflation, but if you've heard it from two sources then it may be true but I'd have thought you would notice the back end skipping around.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Under inflated tyres can also wear on both edges.

7. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Great minds EH!

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Smile: :Friends:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I see it being very unlikely that it's related to the rear shocks in any way. Another vote for under inflated tyres, or, you've been carrying around an awful lot of weight in the back.