Tyres & Wheels tyre sizes

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jonny farrell, Monday 21st Jan, 2013.

1. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hey guys has anyone tried a different tyre size on the standard 17" wheel thats fitted to I-DTEC ES GT , a mate of mine is due to change a set of tyres and he is getting serious value on a set of 225/45/ 17 avon ZZ5 instead of the normal 225/50/17 which he says are a good bit more expensive. just want to know will they make much difference to an 8th Generation car as i know the 7th Generation was a bit sensitive to tyre sizes. thanks jonny

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jonny,
    It's very simple: 225/45/17 is not allowed on 8th Generation Accord.
    In 17 inch, you may have 225/50 only. End of story.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What you mean by not allowed?
    You can fit 225/45 but your speedometer won't be accurate and you might have difficulty with insurance as its not correct tire size that is meant to be.
    I would not recommend your mate to fit it just to save a few pounds,better stick with correct size.

4. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i tought the same and had said it to him but he insisted i ask around. thanks I-DSI

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I mean 'not allowed' as in the sentence: 'It's not allowed to drive with slick tyres'.
    Because:
    - that size is not approved by Honda
    - there is no WVTA for the size
    - incorrect size puts extra stress on car components (suspension, steering, chassis...)
    - ABS/VSA/traction control might not work as intented in extreme situations (demping of the tyre is different)
    - in Belgium you will not pass technical check (MOT in UK) with this size
    - insurance might indeed be another issue in case of accident
    - speedometer: correct, is extra problem
    - comfort will decrease in this particular case

I know some people do drive with incorrect size, but I can only give advise.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  6. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi zoran the same guy is penny wise and pound foolish , he tought by getting a good brand in different size instead of a budget brand in correct size that it would be the better option i was just wondering if it would make much of a difference to the roadholding or comfort of the car. thanks jonny

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The likelyhood of a UK or Irish MOT tester spotting it is pretty remote. Its not like Germany here where they can only sell you tyres approved for your car, as printed on the registration document.

The only issue really is he'd need to have them all round the car for safety, and so there are no VSA or ABS errors, and speedo would be out.

put the sizes in here and see the difference:

Tyre Size Calculator - Changing Tyres - Etyres

get him to check tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk: tyre dealer for cheap passenger, summer, winter tyres for deals

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Richsprint,
    - I did not mention you would have VSA or ABS errors. I said the system will not work as intended, no matter if the syze calculater shows a different or not. The issue is within the software and the car suspension. They are developped and programmed in such a way they work perfect with a certain pressure in a certain volume (size!) and a known sidewall of the tyre (that is a kind of mini suspension). You will hardly notice this if you drive in a normal way in normal circumstances. But at the edge of grip in emergency situations... you might have paid your tyre very expensive. 'Bouncing' of the tyre can occure. A given suspension can not work with that many different sizes.
    - Tyre size is checked at technical inspection in Belgium, just as having same brand/model/wear on 1 axel. You can't pass with a non-WVTA size. But you do can buy wathever size you want for your car.

I don't blame anybody if they drive with a wrong size. As long as you are aware of the disadvantages it's OK for me. Don't forget: tyres are essential for safety.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks lads il pass on the info and let him make his own mind up. :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Tire size is always tricky as no doubt your mate has noticed certain sizes have high prices, especially those odd balls like the standard 17" fitted to the accord.

He could get away with going to a 45 but would need to increase the width to 235. Again these will be a bit cheaper than the standard 225/50/17.

I changed my standard 17" for a set of 18" complete with 235/45/18 tires.

Worth noting that should he ignore all and go with the 225/45/17" - his car will look like a roller skate as the lower profile will leave a much larger gap in the wheel arch.

12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jay,
    The difference is only 11,25 mm... (a fingernail).
    It does is worth noting that your 235/45/18 is perfectly allowed and has WVTA on Accord 8th Generation.

Sorry, I need to edit:
    235/45/18 only has WVTA for CU2/CW2 (2.4 petrol engine). Should not be fitted on a diesel like yours.

Last edited: Tuesday 22nd Jan, 2013
  13. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall

I-DSI,

I've just re-checked via the Honda Parts website and it lists the 18" wheels to be fitted with:

Part No. PFKL589396 - TIRE (235/45R18 98W) (MICHELIN)

This is based on the 2.2 I-DTEC Type-S

Check the website:

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tyre load rating. important?

I had some bf goodrich 225/50/17 94W fitted a few months back when we first had the snow and have just been told theyre the wrong load rating. The sticker in the car says 98v. How important is it? I only found this out as I my tyes may be faulty. Read below

On the way to Holdcroft the other week I had a nasty vibration through the steering wheel at a high speed. Holdcroft said the wheel was balanced fine so I got them swapped to the back to find the problem cured. Im off to the tyre shop tomorrow to see what they say as it may be a faulty tyre. If it is, I will need the tyre swapping and I am wondering how important the load rating is as it obviously limits your choice.

15. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Its not a major having the incorrect load rating if close as yours are. The only thing you will really notice is increased/quicker wearing, lower fuel consumption and possible uneven wear.

As you have mentioned vibration but the tires are balanced would suggest uneven wear but the tire tech should have noticed this.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh to add - its not a MOT failure to have incorrect tires fitted to a car. Providing all tires are of the same size and in good condition its OK.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers. The tyres were put on in January but I only went on the motorway the other day where they got up to speed for the first time. If the tyres have worn unevenly then I take it its down to the incorrect load rating that they fitted. Which technically was incorrect. I'm going back tomorrow to where I got the tyres from so Ill see what they say.

17. Marek Oledzki New Member Getting Started

Hi Guys, my first post on here, just got my first Accord Tourer on Wednesday and am doing some studying up about it. I've got 18" 235-45 spare set of alloys with winter tyres (verdstien wintrac - awesome winter tyre but cost me a small fortune) that I used on my Mazda Rx8. The alloys and tyre spec looked like it would fit the tourer, so I tried one out yesterday, prefect fit, in terms of nut spacing and limited testing that I did - only trying out one wheel just to see if it would rub at all. All seemed perfectly fine.

Was wondering if there could be any potential issue with using these this size tyre and alloy wheel on the tourer (the alloy is the standard Mazda Rx8 alloy - looked good, apart from the centre cap would need to be changed, jap fight!)?

18. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the Accord brochure in front of me and it suggests a tyre size of 235/45, when fitted to an 18" wheel.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jay have a look at this bud http://hondakarma.com/posts/38545/

refer to your chassis CU3 Type-S with 18 inch alloy pay attention to the accessory wheel as a guide too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014