Service & Maintenance Tyre wear

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by FR-V, Thursday 16th Apr, 2015.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Several eons ago I promised to report back on the performance of the Avon ZV5 tyres I had fitted to my FR-V so here goes!

Rears have covered 22k, about 7k of that on the front.
    Fronts have done 27k, about 12k of that on the rear.
    Hunter 4 wheel alignment done 15k ago (after changing wheels front to rear)

Tread depths are now ( outside/centre/inside):
    OSF - 4/7/4. NSF - 6/7/5 The NSF is badly worn at the very inside tread blocks.
    OSR - 7/7/7. NSR - 7/7/7. The NSR is slightly worn at the inside tread blocks.

The car still drifts slightly to the nearside so that could explain the inner tread wear, and the full alignment didn't completely cure the problem.

So the rears are good for several thousand more miles, and the fronts will be replaced shortly - mainly because of the inside tread wear, but would have been replaced anyway before dragging the caravan across Europe again.

Would I buy them again?
    Definitely!

I hope that is of some use to somebody out there!

garf8v, SpeedyGee and Bones126 like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks for reporting back @FR-V

How did the tyres perform in different conditions and did the grip diminish over time or did it stay the same ?

3. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    The grip has always been good, but then again I don't test the handling performance. My only concern has been road noise. The roads in Lincolnshire are paved with granite rocks so are VERY noisy and the car has always been too loud on these surfaces. The Avon's are no better and no worse than the previous tyres in this respect, but on good surfaces (parts of the A1 for instance) it is whisper quiet. Poor road noise suppression by the car seems the culprit rather than the tyres, but I had hoped for an improvement with the new rating system giving the Avon's good scores.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Glad they have treated you well and that you are happy with them.

Thanks for the feedback

5. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Quick update, found a pair of ZV5s for £100 fully fitted at tyre-shopper.co.UK, fitting is done at National Tyres.
    Bought them, be rude not to at that price!! (List is £120 each)

6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Unfortunately I now have a vibration at the steering wheel that rebalancing the wheels (9 weights on one and 5 on the other! ) has not cured. Looks like I have the "wheel and tyre out of sync" problem or a pair of duff tyres.:brickwall:

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Quick update, just had new front discs and pads fitted and the car felt much better, so headed for the nearest dual carriageway. MUCH better, even up to *** mph:Devil:
    Still not sure about the number of weights though.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Sounds like warped discs then, glad it getting sorted. From experience of fitting tyres, some wheel tyre combinations can get away with no weights while others need half a tonne to balance them. As long as the wheel balancer was calibrated I would trust what they have done.

FR-V likes this.