General Tyres and Children

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Monday 13th Feb, 2012.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, here I am, travelling with the engine just ticking over in 2nd gear, doing about 15mph leaving my estate, when as I turn a corner and past a parked car on my left, a kid, who I would say was about 8 or so, runs out from their open house door, straight into my path. Having just passed the parked car on my left, with a row of them on my right, with me slap bang in the middle of the road, he left me with about 10 feet to stop. Instinctively, knowing that I could never have stopped in that time, I swerved hard left to avoid hitting the kid, and hit and mounted the pavement hard with my front nearside Bridgestone tyre. After I had finished swearing profusely under my breath, with the kid nowhere in sight. Unfortunately, to add further injury, the pavement is one of those with the old stone pavings, not the smooth edged ones which are common now. As a result, my tyre suddenly decided that it wasnt willing to take this abuse as a piece of sharp stone from the slab decided to eat the sidewall of my tyre.

Needless to say, not happy, not impressed...

Just cost me 90 quid to get it replaced. (Cheaper than hitting a kid though and dealing with the legal and psychological effects...lol)

Last edited: Monday 13th Feb, 2012
  2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What a nightmare but like you say better than hitting the kid. I'm sure the kids of today are getting worse there a nightmare round our end just walk out in front of you on a main road and expect you to stop for them.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    When I was younger, and stupider, 10-15 years ago, living overseas in Africa, I hit a kid doing about 30kph (not mph). Again, ran out in front of me, I hit the brakes, but the road was wet, no ABS or anything back then in my Toyota, so it just locked up and skidded. She was a small thing, about 9 years old and to this day, I remember her being picked up, her head hitting the top of the bonnet near where the washers would be, and her long black hair spraying over the windscreen. Scared the daylights out of me. Her mother saw it happen and after I followed them to the hospital, bought the girl a chocolate with the mothers permission, the mother just tells me that she has repeatedly told her daughter to watch the road for cars and not run out in front of it.

Was horrible seeing her hair just fly over the windshield cause I naturally thought I had killed her even though I was going slowly. The ol bill turned up, well their version of them anyways, and even they said there was no way I could have seen or stopped as she ran from a blind corner between two trucks.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Where are the parents in this case why is a 8 year old ruining amock without supervision?

It the generation where children are dragged up

5. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Very unfortunate there are so many absentee parents around these days letting children raise themselves. And, what are kids to do but get into trouble if not properly supervised? And, it's always been that way.

As for what you did, you made the smart choice and I'm sure the child's parents are very happy their kid was not injured as they are sure to have told mom/dad about the event.

It's always good to be watchful for children running out into the road suddenly. This can happen to anyone, just have to stay alert and be smart in the situation. And though your tire suffered, you made the right move.

6. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Of course, it's a shame about your ruined tire and the money you had to spend to replace it. But you safeguarded lives, so that's most important. I'm sure the child's parents are very thankful for your watchful eye in this situation.