Tyres & Wheels Tyres for FR-V i-CTDi Sport

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by FR-V, Monday 4th Feb, 2013.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    My FR-V is getting the full treatment ready for spring, all the fluids and filters changed (you should have seen the state of the clutch and brake fluids!) so now for the tyres.
    I like the look of the deal National are doing on Avon ZV5s. They are rated C,C, and 2 bars/71db for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise and I have heard good reports on Avon tyres, but has anybody used them on the FR-V (or other Hondas) and could give their opinion please.

Last edited: Wednesday 6th Feb, 2013
  2. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    The rear tyres were worse than I thought, they are Cooper Zeon XT dated 3208 so probably fitted in 2009 at approx. 15k miles on the front.
    I changed them at 25k to the rear to get some wear out of the aged but little worn Mitchelin Primacys that were still on there, and we are now at 27k so they have done about 12k, not bad for the price!
    The original fronts therefore did approx 15k, 10k of which were in the first five months whilst still owned by Honda at Bristol (one previous careful owner, dozens of lunatic drivers?), the next nine months only added 275 miles (mothballed?) until it was sold on, and the remaining 5k added in nearly 2 years at a sedate pace.
    The Avons will be fitted on Friday on the rear, and if they perform well they will be joined by another pair on the front in a couple of months. I will let you all know what I think of them.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi FR-V,
    Yes please let us know your findings. Me, personally I have never been tempted to buy Avon tyres. Always went fro Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, etc...
    I'v never seen in my live an Avon tyre perform well in a comparative test (consumer magazine, car magazine tests).

4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have used Avons for years on my classic bikes and was going to fit them to my motorhome until I contacted Avon to check they were ok. They gave honest straightforward advice that as my vehicle had Camper tyres from new I should only fit these "C" rated ones, and although their van tyres would be fine for the job they did not do special camper tyres so recommended I tried elsewhere. What a refreshing attitude!

5. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    A refreshing attitude indeed, most companies would just try to make the sale I am sure.

Never used Avon tyres, would be interested how they perform if and when you decide to get them.

6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Avons fitted on the rear wheels this morning by those nice people at National Tyres, £132 all in for the two - bargain!:Thumbup:
    They are selling so many that the factory can't keep up, mine were dated 0513, meaning they were only made last week.
    The next week will be town work before a slog up the A1 to Newcastle and then a trip laden to the gun'les, bikes on the back, for a short holiday the week after.
    Should be a good test for them:Smile:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have a nice break bud, keep us posted on your run up North.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Just watched the repeats of A Racing Car is Born, where they are building a Westfield kit car to turn into a racer. The tyres fitted are Avon ZV1s!
    Should be good enough to keep the lardy backside of the FR-V on the A1 if it snows :Smile:

9. loadieboy New Member Getting Started

Hope the tyres are going well. I'll be interested to hear how you've got on with them too; now a few days into the FR-V ownership experience and mine will need some in the not too distant future. Initial driving has shown a slightly strange steering tendency once I turn anywhere near half a turn for a distinct feel of resistance and even opposition. I'm guessing this is probably down to tracking, just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar on worn tyres?

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    These cars seem to be prone to road noise and drifting off line on some tyres, especially when worn.
    Have a look elsewhere in this section for tyre advice and comments from other owners, it is all very useful. I shall add my twopenneth after I have the new fronts fitted as well and have done a few thousand miles on them, so it may be too late for you.

11. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What about the Evergreen budget tyres the local Honda dealer to me recommends? £79 per tyre fitted. I did have some on my Audi and never noticed an issue but I sold it before getting full wear out of them and buying the FR-V I have now.

The dealer says they are made in the same factory as other brand named tyres so by association they should be comparable in quality, any thoughts ?