General Tyres: Michelin PS3 vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymentric 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doc, Wednesday 16th Apr, 2014.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm looking at changing my tyres in the very near future and have been doing some research.

I think I've narrowed it down to a choice of 2:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.

I know a few members on here have gone for the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 with good results, but from the reviews I've read the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 are a better tyre and incidently I can get the Goodyear's cheaper.

I'm currently leaning towards the Goodyear's so I suppose my question is why are people opting for the Michelin over the Goodyear's?

Or without opening the inevitable can of worms can anyone offer a better suggestion.

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Apr, 2014
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did you mean Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ?

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On the paper Michelin is a better choice.
    I had them on my previous Accord and they were fantastic but not lasted as much as I was expecting.
    I just bought Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 but not fitted them yet so can't give you any feedback but choose them on good online reviews and few of my friends keep banging on how good they are.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yeah I meant Michelin not Pirelli. Keep your eyes peeled for the strategic edit. lol

@Zoran looking at this site the Goodyear is rated higher than the Michelin. And that's what I found on a few other sites so it's surprising you say on paper the Michelin is better.

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Apr, 2014
  5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What I meant Michelin is popular brand and everyone only has praise for it and they are proven over the years to be good.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd go for the Michelin, as although they are the generic top choice - it's well deserved.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had Michelin PS3 on my Tourer great tyres which are soft and wear fast but amazing grip.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Can't comment on the Michelin vs Goodyear in terms of my Accord, but did have Michelin tyres (of some sort) fitted to my previous VW Tiguan, and they wore very quickly. I got c25k miles out of the Continental tyres that it came with from the factory, but only 15k out of the Michelins. They were multi-season, and were excellent in the snow, so no issues with grip or performance.

What I can add is that after c750 miles this week on new Yokohama V105s tyres (mixture of motorway 70% and a-roads 30%) is that they seem very stable in corners - in the dry anyway. Handling is definitely much improved against the Vredestein Winter tyres that were on there before, although I accept that is a bit of an unfair comparison.

There is a little bit more road noise than I had previously, but I think that is likely down to the new 18" wheels vs previous 17". Ride is also slightly more unsettled than before, but again I guess that is down to the wheel size in comparison to what I had before.

That probably doesn't help much...!! :Wave:

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Thanks guys.

I thought the consensus would be for the Michelin as they seem to be a popular choice among members.

I'm leaning towards the Goodyear as they seem to be the best on comparison sites, but the Michelin are tried and tested and have good reveiws. Hmmm....

Has anyone had the Michelin on a 225/40/18 tyre?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Doc I have had 225/40/18 on my tourer and they lasted 28k miles. They were driven to the max :Grin:

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just fitted (today) 4 Goodyear Eagle Assymetric 2 on my car.Too early to comment how good bad they are but love the look of them.
    20140418_184041. 20140418_184041. 20140418_183923.

SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Forgot to say I had Michelin Pilot Sport 3 on my 7th Generation and they were fantastic but not lasted as much as I thought they would.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zoran how many miles are your 18 inches lasting on the 8th Generation bud? Correct me if I am wrong this must be third set of tyres ?

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

First set Yokohama Advan lasted 25k and second set Vredestein I just changed after 18k just because they were noisy and drove me mad but they still had 4mm thread all round.

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you can take it also for Hunter alignment.It will save your tyres a bit.
    Just did mine today, camber is out but it's not adjustable unfortunately.
    Same reading like last year so did not need any adjusting.

Last edited: Friday 18th Apr, 2014
  16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    @Zoran I did consider the Vredestein as you'd mentioned you had them fitted before but they didn't seem to rate very well when i was looking plus I struggled to find them in the size I wanted. Also as you mention they're noisy they'd drive me mad as well.

The Goodyear look to have a good alloy rim protector on them as well which is good to know. Take them for a thrash and get that label off the tyre. lol

I haven't had my tracking done since my last tyre change so that's a good shout about getting it done. Thanks.